New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Research ANSI X12 837 file viewer editor
Topic Originator: Grant Porteous
Post Date August 4, 2008 @ 3:13 PM
Research ANSI X12 837 file viewer editor

Grant Porteous
August 4, 2008 @ 3:13 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi all.

My wife runs a small medical billing practice. Amongst her many headaches is dealing with the 837 files that get sent out and occasionally need to be inspected for errors and corrected.  

The actual problem is with the Practice Management software she using.  However, I am a software developer (medical software) and always on the lookout for a solution to provide.  I have an idea to create an application that would make it easier to read/edit/save the claim files.

The program would read in and ANSI 837, display the information in a human readable format and then allow the user to edit and then re-save the file.

I have done some searching and have found a few solutions. Some of those are too grandiose for what she would need (targetted for corporations etc).  

Do any of you have an opinion of such software.  
Do you think there is a market for it?
What would it need to do to be sellable?

Thank you for reading

Grant
837Reader.com

Calvin Fenton
August 5, 2008 @ 1:52 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

For an 837 EDI file to be HIPAA compliant it is not just a matter of going in and modify or edit the file. There are a number to ANSI 837 rules that is specified in the 837 implementation guide that the user is going to have to follow to make the file valid. One of the reasons that some, Practice Management software has problems with the file is the hierarchical structure (Loops and Segment) of the 837 file, before you can create the software above you have to be able to understand these rules from the ANSI 837 implementation guide.

You dont necessary have to create an editor to edit the file you can easily edit the 837 in a text editor ( www.textpad.com) then go to the individual segment and modify the values. Another excellent example of an editor is called EDI notepad at www.softshare.com . Yes there is definitely a market for this if you can get the software written with all of the validation rules. If you only need software to delimit (change from one continuous line into individual segments) and for look at individual items within the segments a site for these EDI tools can be found at www.easyeditools.com.

I hope this helps.

Grant Porteous
August 5, 2008 @ 2:19 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thank you for your comments Calvin.  You make good points, and I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

That is exactly the value I wish to provide.  I have been working in the Medical/Data/EDI information field for quite some time and believe I have built up a fair amount of knowledge that I could use in such an application to make it easier for others.

My wife does currently use a text editor to view and edit the files...and that's exactly the problem. My impression is that it can be much easier for people like her to deal with these issues, rather than having to wade through the text.

Thank you for the references to other products...2 of which I have not come across, and is exactly the kind of information I need for my research.  

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Regards,
Grant
www.837Reader.com

rachel
September 24, 2008 @ 5:40 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Grant Porteous can you please email me rachel@pscbilling.net

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc