Medical Billing / Coding from home

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: New
Topic Originator: kbailey
Post Date October 28, 2008 @ 11:22 PM
New

kbailey
October 28, 2008 @ 11:22 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I've been busy searching and reading as many billing forums as I can find and I still have some questions I'm hoping one of you more experienced business owners out there can answer.  I've done medical and dental billing as an employee for many,many years and am now on the brink of starting my own business.  I have what may be some really silly questions, but they need to be asked!  

1.  As a billing company, when you call and insurance carrier to check on the status of an outstanding claim - how do you identify yourself? As the billing company or that you are calling on behalf of dr. so-and-so?

2.  Does anyone have any opinion on billing via the physicians software directly - as in using VPN to access their computers directly?

3.  I have a physician who may start using me initially just to help with older, outstanding claims.  Here's the scenario I'm facing:  He has his own software and will hand the majority of his own billing.  He hands me, say 20 claims a month that he can't get paid. I use his software (via VPN) to access the patient information, rebill the claim, etc.  So, at the end of the month, the total report will show all payments received and there is no way to break down the payments for just the claims I've gotten paid.  Therefore, I need to find a way to invoice and track my payments separately. Does anyone have any opinion on what kind of invoicing/accounting software would be best for this?

whew - hope that was clear enough.  That's enough questions for the moment - I'm sure I'll have more in the days and months to come!  I have to say to all of you already established in this business - Way to go!  There's SO much more to starting up this type of business than I thought when I started this!  Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

Linda Walker
November 1, 2008 @ 12:31 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

1.  As a billing company, when you call and insurance carrier to check on the status of an outstanding claim - how do you identify yourself? As the billing company or that you are calling on behalf of dr. so-and-so?

I used my name and said I was calling from Dr So and So's Office or on behalf of Dr. So and So.

2.  Does anyone have any opinion on billing via the physicians software directly - as in using VPN to access their computers directly?

I have done this as well as worked on various softwares both stand-alone and ASP as well. I prefer to connect direct of all the methods used.

3.  I have a physician who may start using me initially just to help with older, outstanding claims.  Here's the scenario I'm facing:  He has his own software and will hand the majority of his own billing.  He hands me, say 20 claims a month that he can't get paid. I use his software (via VPN) to access the patient information, rebill the claim, etc.  So, at the end of the month, the total report will show all payments received and there is no way to break down the payments for just the claims I've gotten paid.  Therefore, I need to find a way to invoice and track my payments separately. Does anyone have any opinion on what kind of invoicing/accounting software would be best for this?

This is how I sort of got started. I helped my kids pediatrician clean up old accounts/AR and get paid so he could retire.  I didn't have the luxury back then of connecting to him via a VPN or any other method, however with other clients where I was just doing cleanup I made it simple for myself.  I created my own payment codes so that at month end I ran a report and could differentiate my billed/paid charges.
Sometimes all you have to do is get a little creative with the way you input data and payment codes and you can create some great reports just by using specific codes in the software (can be any software). You should have the abilty to create your own payment codes.  For example, let's say you are getting paid 5% of all revenue you bring in from the claims you are appealing or resubmitting. When you receive a payment on that claim and you want that payment to show up on a report you can enter in a payment code; for example; LWCignapmt  This has my initials and the ins company who made the pmt. At end of the month you can run a payment report and then you just tally all the ones with your initials on them and Voila.. : )

Linda Walker -PMRNC
www.BillersWebsite.com

1st Source
November 7, 2008 @ 3:53 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am a new billing service and I would like to offer coding.  I am in the process of obtaining my certification from Kaplan and Ahima.  What are the fees commonly charged bhy a billing serivce for coding?

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc