Thread Topic: Work-at-Home Schemes - Warning
Topic Originator: Dale
Post Date March 15, 2005 @ 6:47 PM
Work-at-Home Schemes - Warning

Dale
March 15, 2005 @ 6:47 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

March 2001
Federal Trade Commission

Medical billing. Ads for pre-packaged businesses - known as billing centers - are in newspapers, on television and on the Internet. If you respond, you'll get a sales pitch that may sound something like this: There's "a crisis" in the health care system, due partly to the overwhelming task of processing paper claims. The solution is electronic claim processing. Because only a small percentage of claims are transmitted electronically, the market for billing centers is wide open.

The promoter also may tell you that many doctors who process claims electronically want to "outsource" or contract out their billing services to save money. Promoters will promise that you can earn a substantial income working full or part time, providing services like billing, accounts receivable, electronic insurance claim processing and practice management to doctors and dentists. They also may assure you that no experience is required, that they will provide clients eager to buy your services or that their qualified salespeople will find clients for you.

The reality: you will have to sell. These promoters rarely provide experienced sales staff or contacts within the medical community.

The promoter will follow up by sending you materials that typically include a brochure, application, sample diskettes, a contract (licensing agreement), disclosure document, and in some cases, testimonial letters, videocassettes and reference lists. For your investment of $2,000 to $8,000, a promoter will promise software, training and technical support. And the company will encourage you to call its references. Make sure you get many names from which to chose. If only one or two names are given, they may be "shills" - people hired to give favorable testimonials. It's best to interview people in person, preferably where the business operates, to reduce your risk of being mislead by shills and also to get a better sense of how the business works.

Few consumers who purchase a medical billing business opportunity are able to find clients, start a business and generate revenues - let alone recover their investment and earn a substantial income. Competition in the medical billing market is fierce and revolves around a number of large and well-established firms.

Judy
March 16, 2005 @ 12:29 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I agree, stay away from any of these work at home billing schemes.

Start your own company. If you need help, maybe consult a business developer.

There is no need to buy a work at home billing company...

If there is anyone out there that has purchased one. I would love to know how it is going, and was it worth the money and time?

J

Jessica
March 30, 2005 @ 2:13 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I agree that most of these companies are scams but there are many of us "Synergy Medical Billing Centers" who owe the success of our businesses to Synergy MIS (a company who provides software, support, training, conferences, peer-networking, marketing, advertising...  the list goes on and on).  This company has been in business for 26 years.  

They have a National Conference coming up in May and it is open to anyone.  The cost is very reasonable.  If you are thinking about beginning a business in medical billing, I recommend checking them out.  They have a website at www.synergymis.com

Adella
June 1, 2005 @ 5:11 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I completely disagree.

I am not a salesman trying to sell something but a living, breathing medical billing business owner and yes I work out of my home office. All it takes is hard work, good research, and a couple of other key things like software for one and your in business. Yes, there are risks BUT the rewards far out-weigh the fears ten times over. It is not a get rich quick scheme....by any stretch of the imagination, it is hard work but so well worth it. It is an investment in my future retirement and not only that, for me it is a dream come true to truly be self-employed.

Don't let the con-artists and bad situations hold you back if your considering this career, it is a very lucrative business if you just want it bad enough!

Adella
June 1, 2005 @ 5:14 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Jessica, Ooops I missed your posting! Completely agree!

danielle
June 2, 2005 @ 12:18 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am VERY new to this feild however i have completed a "at home" traing. I feel that I have  good trainging, yet  I am seeking ANY advice on strarting my own business from home. I am in the very early stages. any advance would be great, LIKE WHERE TO START. Thank so much

Lisa Paoli
June 2, 2005 @ 7:15 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Working at home is great but it does take alot of work to get a business going.  If you fall for these "Get rich fast" ads you are dead wrong if you can start a business for $500.  You can start by researching medical billing and making sure that you are updated with all types of billing.  Then if you have a name picked out you have to call the Secretary of State and find out if you are allowed to have a home based business and what steps you need to start one.  The secretary of state is your next move.  Then start marketing.

Alot of information on www.billerswebsite.com and www.ambanet.net/AMBA.htm.  Good luck

Lisa Paoli, CMRS
www.medofficesolutions.net
www.localchapters.net

Adella
June 2, 2005 @ 7:16 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Danielle,

I would recommend you visit the link that Jessica (above) wrote about. Many of your questions will be answered there. Go into the forum and just start reading some of the other questions that have been answered for new billing centers like yourself. I assure you, once you have visited their site, you will feel very comfortable in asking and obtaining honest and encouraging answers to your questions.

If you really want to be encouraged, go to the "Marketing Success Folder" and read the true success stories. I say true because I personally know many of them.

Good luck!

Justin
September 1, 2005 @ 6:11 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

danielle, just curious on what course you did from home and how you are going finding clients for work.

I am thinking of starting a at home course also and would like to know if people actually get work after the course. Do you think you gained enough skills?

Thanks you
Justin

DANIELLE
September 2, 2005 @ 7:53 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

JUSTIN-
i HAVE COMPLETED A FEW DIFFRENT AT HOME TRIANINGS. i THINK THAT THE COURSES PROVIDE YOU WITH THE BASIC BILLING INOFRMATION. tHE DEEP DOWN BACKROUND INFORMATION OF HOW AND WHY THING ARE THE WAY THE ARE YOU NEED TO SEARCH OUT. I HAVE FOUND THAT THINGS ARE VERY DIFFRENT FOR A CODER THAN A BILLER. TO CODE YOU MUST BE LICENCE BUT THERE IS NO REQUIRMNETS TO BILL. JUST KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.
THE BEST DEALS THAT I HAVE FOUND ARE WITH A SOFTWARE COMPANY THAT WALKS YOU THROUGH EVERYTHING. AS FAR AS ME I MA STIL IN THE PROCESS OF GETTING THINGS SET UP AND WILL HOPEFULLY BE OUT MARKETING BY NOV.
HOPE THIS HELS JUSTIN. GOOD LUCK

DANIELLE

margaret
September 2, 2005 @ 5:03 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Danielle,

I am also new to this industry. Do you have to be licensed to be a coder or is it just preferred?

DANIELLE
September 2, 2005 @ 9:35 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

you need to be licence to code yes. NOT to bill.

DANIELLE
September 2, 2005 @ 9:35 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Yes to code you need a licence but NOt to bill.

harriet bryant
September 12, 2005 @ 2:04 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Jessica:
I like the info.  How can I get list of companies that is looking for a medical biller who work from home. I previoulsy work in the hosptial and private doctors office and I have over 10 years experience. I don't need too take any billing classes.  I am having problems finding the web pages.  All seem to come up is you pay us and we find you the doctors. Please help Harriet

Sally
November 21, 2005 @ 10:19 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I also agree. There are some many advertisements that are a waste of money. I never replied to them myself but had others who I know get taken by these schemes. It's also hard to find a book out there that also helps. I spent my first year just trying to find out how to get started. I purchased many books that were somewhat helpful but not really. Some contained a bunch of codes for Dental Services and some were just basic information I already knew.

If anyone is interested. I did write a book of my own with the steps I used to get my business up and running. It contains information about obtaining your business name, Getting your Tax ID #, Getting Clients, How to Save Money, Working from Home, What to Charge, Software  Information, and much more!.

If you would like more information about this CD. Visit my webiste at www.anthonymedserv.com or email with any questions at antmedserv@msn.com. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about my Medical Billing Business or the CD itself.

It does take dedication to make this work, most work at home information you see just gives you even more useless information.
Having your own business takes dedication and time. Anything that tells you you can make money quickly, usually is a scam. The only people making money, is the people taking advantage of all of us who just want to improve our lives.

Sally
November 21, 2005 @ 10:27 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Sorry about the typo in my current listing. I was in a hurry and didn't proof read it. I guess I should have.
Another crazy day in  a Medical Billing Business Owners life.

kjfisher
November 21, 2005 @ 11:16 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

There is no law at this time requiring Medical Coders to be certified, however, it is preferred by most employers.

Thanks,

kjfisher

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc