Medical Billing Coding - needing some info on starting billing at home, cpt, codes
medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine

Medical Billing / Coding from home

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: needing some info on starting billing at home
Topic Originator: mbrowning
Post Date June 24, 2010 @ 1:26 PM
needing some info on starting billing at home

June 24, 2010 @ 1:26 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am looking to get some information on working out of my home doing medical billing...i have 3.5 years experience in an office setting, but have come to find out that working from your home is the way to really make good money. Im not sure where i need to start with this project for example software? contracts? how to get my name out to dr's that need billing service...any advise would be greatly very helpful.

Sue B
July 12, 2010 @ 2:27 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have started my own billing service working from home.  Yes, you can make a good income, it is going to take a lot of work, commitment and time.  I enjoy the freedom of being to work from home...reduce travel costs, clothing costs, etc., you are also likely to work more than a 40 hour work week.  You will have access to your "job" 24/7.  Is your family supportive of what you want to do.  If you go on vacation, there is no one else to do the work while you are away.  Do your homework.  Create a business plan.  Talk to an attorney, an accountant, other business professionals to be sure of what it is going to take financially to get started and keep you afloat while you market your business.   Review several different billing software programs, talk to other individuals who may own their own business.  I teach part-time at the local community college and was fortunate enough to receive the name of a provider who had called the school with questions.  This provider became my first client.  My client base has grown based on referrals from others.   Connect with the provider representatives at different insurance carriers.   What service are you going to provide that is diferent/better than another service.  You will have to be able to stand out from all of the other services in your area.  

Good luck.

July 31, 2010 @ 12:42 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Sue,
I am starting mine as well, but need some information regarding how to price / fee for each services.
The office is Urgent Care kind.

March 29, 2011 @ 2:45 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Why dont you purchase the Medical Billing 4 Dummys book. That helped me get a foot on moving forward with my business. I only have 1 doctor but i make 10% of his receivables a month which is about 2k a month. May not seem like a whole lot but it pays my bills and beats driving to work everyday! lol But i found it on Amazon for like 20 buks. Plus it has like real contracts, invoices for your clients and like 1500 insurance companies names addresses and phone numbers on a disc to use! That was so helpful for me when i first started, you have no idea. Check it out it beats paying thousands of dollars for school that you really don't even need!

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc