Medical Billing Coding - is a certificate program really enough?, cpt, codes
medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine

Billing-Coding.com

(FORUM HOME)

Medical Billing / Coding from home

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: is a certificate program really enough?
Topic Originator: erin
Post Date July 20, 2011 @ 6:03 PM
is a certificate program really enough?

erin
July 20, 2011 @ 6:03 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I would like to start working towards becoming a medical coder with my ultimate goal being to code from home. I do not currently work in the medical field and I know this will take some time. I just don't want to waste my time. I have been told that I can take the certificate program through Kaplan, and then get certified once I am ready.  Is this really enough to get started?  What should my next steps be?  I am very serious about this and very motivated to reach my goals and willing to make any commitment needed. Any advice I can get would be truly appreciated!

gayl
September 5, 2011 @ 10:20 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I was wondering the same thing. Has anyone giving you any advice?

PennyM
September 12, 2011 @ 8:09 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

You should probably start with a straight medical billing and reimbursement course to make sure this is something your really want to get in to - this is a very intense field!  There is a wonderful course offered by medicalbillingcourse.com.  Once you get your certification as a medical biller, you technically can own and operate a billing service - you just cannot legally code.  You will have to become a certified coder (and earn CEU's each year to maintain your certification), to offer that service.  Check out the billing course first, this can be a costly venture in the long run and you may want to check evert avenue first.  Good Luck!

Sue
May 2, 2012 @ 7:22 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I also did the same thing recently. I completed a medical and billing course from Ultimate Medical Academy. I did it all online. The school was very helpful and even coached me right up to my exam date. I passed and am now certified. However, most places want experienced coders with at least 2 years experience. I am working my way up the ladder now in hopes of getting a coding position within the next year or so.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc