Medical Billing Coding - want to get started in medical billing and coiding from home, cpt, codes
medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine

Billing-Coding.com

(FORUM HOME)

Medical Billing / Coding from home

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: want to get started in medical billing and coiding from home
Topic Originator: gayl
Post Date September 4, 2011 @ 11:10 PM
want to get started in medical billing and coiding from home

gayl
September 4, 2011 @ 11:10 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have never worked in the medical field, but have 10+ years in customer service. How does one get started. I am wanting to change my career over to the medical industy. Any advice would be greatly appericated

Penny
September 12, 2011 @ 8:19 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi!  Well, if you have never worked in the medical field at all, this may be really difficult for you!  I've been in medical billing for over 11 years, and worked as an EMT for 20 years before that, so had a very solid background in physical anatomy, biology and billing before I began my own billing service now.  You may want to check around at some of the billing courses offered online.  You really will need some background knowledge before attempting this, or your setting yourself up for failure.  I recommend medicalbillingcourse.com.  Tammy Harlan (owner) is really great to work with and you will learn alot.  Try that and see if this is really something you want to get into before investing a lot of time, money and effort.  Medical billing is definitelt not a "get rich quick" scheme - it takes a lot of training, dedication, attention to detail and patience (and patients!).  Good Luck!

Jeanie
May 17, 2012 @ 12:06 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have had many years of medical billing experience and would like to do some part time billing at home.  I already have a physician who wants to utilize my service, so I just need to find out the basics of where to start.  I have so many questions & few answers as to how this would work from home.  If you could share any information, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you in advance!

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc