Medical Billing / Coding from home

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: home office organization advice
Topic Originator: Michele
Post Date March 28, 2006 @ 1:14 PM
home office organization advice

Michele
March 28, 2006 @ 1:14 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am going to be working from home doing medical billing and was wondering if anyone had any ideas or tips for staying focused and organized.  I don't have a separate room I can dedicate as an office, however, I do have a good little space to get started with.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Amy
April 2, 2006 @ 12:09 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I think your first concern should be your space.  If you have no designated, seperate room, where is the privacy?  You still fall under the same rules as any medical practice as far as the security of PHI.

Christine
April 3, 2006 @ 9:24 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I was in the same boat as you, and we ended up changing a spare room into a office.   People keep referring to HIPPA rules.  Where do we get a copy of these rules that apply directly to us is a good question.
Good luck with the start - up..
Christine

Diane
April 4, 2006 @ 12:26 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

See hipaa.org  All of HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and  Accountability Act) applies to us as third party billers. Keep in mind these are not rules or advisements to use. HIPAA involves laws with STEEP fines for noncompliance and ignorance of HIPAA is not an excuse. Having a home office means you have to be extra diligent in showing compliance not only with storage of files but also with password and security protection and a compliance policy in place.
Diane

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc