Medical Billing Coding - Several clients lined up, what certification needed?, cpt, codes
medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine

Billing-Coding.com

(FORUM HOME)

Medical Billing / Coding from home

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Several clients lined up, what certification needed?
Topic Originator: Nathan
Post Date October 21, 2014 @ 6:40 PM
Several clients lined up, what certification needed?

Nathan
October 21, 2014 @ 6:40 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

The usual pattern here seems to be people with skills looking for clients. I have the opposite problem. My wife is a certified midwife who does her own billing for her clients. 90% of this is global billing but there are a few simple exceptions. Essentially, all the ICD-09 codes she needs are on a single page. Currently her, and several midwives she knows either outsource to a single certified coder with a poor reputation or do coding themselves. I have four care providers who are all interested in finding someone new (IE me) essentially a ready made market, all the better since I am not the primary income for my family. I was run through the basics by one of the providers and it seems mostly database type stuff which i am quite familiar with.

So after all that preamble let me ask simply how hard is it to start coding without a full two year degree? Is it legal if I am not the care provider? And what preparation would people suggest for this endevor. Thanks

Cathy
October 30, 2014 @ 11:34 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I would think you need to be a certified biller and/or coder. No you dont have to have a 2 year degree. If you can pass the AAPC or AHIMA certification, without schooling, awesome!
I'm finding that to even be considered for hiring, the employer wants you have that certification. And I would think that if you want to do this from home, you also want experience, which it sounds like you do.
I'm trying to get certified now. My exam is December 5. I have already failed the exam once. I think my issue is, i have been in pathology for almost 20 years and thats what i know. Everything else is foreign to me really. I've lost touch with so much stuff in the medical world. Cant find anyone that want someone who only knows anatomic pathology.
just my opinion.
be groovy!

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc