Medical Billing / Coding from home

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: working from home
Topic Originator: bibi somwaru
Post Date March 19, 2007 @ 10:36 PM
working from home

bibi somwaru
March 19, 2007 @ 10:36 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Is there any company that is looking for someone to work from home as a medical biller/coder.please email to above email address.I enrolled in a school that told me that i was going to get job to work from home and i graduated with my associates degree in medicla science in september 06 and nothing as yet.The school said that the person that told me this was incorrect so now i am pretty much on my own trying to do this and pay off my loans.

Pat
April 7, 2007 @ 9:27 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

After working for a radiology practice for more than 3 years, I decided to explore what was available out there to work at home to augment my income. I posted my resume on the AAPC website, sent it off to a few companies and about 6 months later was contacted.
Who ever told you that you would be able to start your career in coding/billing working from home was embellishing the truth. Most companies want you to have at least 3 years experience.
After you have some experience, use your networking, AAPC and any other professional organizations to which you belong to get referrals. I have recieved referrals from people I work with and my local AAPC chapter and the AAPC website.
You will not get hired, without experience, by a reputable company.

bibi somwaru
April 9, 2007 @ 4:35 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I know now and understand that companies need you to work at least a couple of months in office but when i enrolled in the school, i was told i was going to get a job working from home because i have 3 kids and i was pregnant at the time and i told the girl this.I would not min to wait until my son is in school but i still have to pay my loans off and the school is not taking at least some responsibility in misinforming me,just that i should not limit my self to work from onle home but i fell that i signed up for working from home i shoul home if,i am not ready towork in the field .Thanks for the heads up,i just can't gove up i really want this and i'll keep trying i guess.

Patricia Orr
April 26, 2007 @ 6:50 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi BiBi this is Patricia Orr!

Bibi
August 14, 2008 @ 10:57 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Patricia can you email me at somwaruj@bellsouth.net? i need to some motivation and last time i spoke with you you had given me so much advice and now i feel so clustered with everything.

Steve Verno
August 15, 2008 @ 6:54 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Bibi,

Lets say I am a doctor interviewing you, how would you answer these questions?

1)  What were your grades for each subject you took in school?

2)  How many claims have yoiu submitted to an insurance company since completion of your training?

3)  Have you ever appealed a claim denial?

4)  You say you want to work at home and you have several children, what happens to my claims when you have a child that is sick?

5)  How much time per day wil you devote to my business?

6)  How many aging reports have you worked since completion of your training?

7)  Tell me what you know about my specialty, Internal Medicine.

8)  How much experience do you have with subpoenas?

9)  Have you ever worked a workers compensation or PIP case?

10)  What software do you use at home and how secure is it?

11)  How would you get my data to your home?

12)  Do you have any insurance in case you make costly mistakes or errors?

13) How much do you figure you can collect for me on a monthly basis?

14)  How will you do my billing when you want to go on vacation?

15)  Ho much will you charge to do my business?

16) Do you have a compliance plan?

17)  Are there any start up costs, if so, what are they and why?

18)  How do you handle balance billing an HMO patient and is there a no balance billing Law in this state?

19)  Tell me how you plan on getting unpaid claims paid?

20)  Have you ever looked at a provider insurance ageement?

21.  How much experience do you have with Medicare, Railroad Medicare, Tricare, and Medicaid?

22)  When you underwent your training, did you miss any classes, if so which ones?

23)  When you underwent your training, did you fail any tests, if so which ones?

24)  What do ou suggest we do if no money comes in after I hire you?

24)  Why should I hire you?

bibi
August 16, 2008 @ 11:27 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Steve,  i did very well in school. I got an AB average. all my training was done on line. I have been contracted with a Doctor to do his billing . i do not know if the question still would be in place but after reading the question you asked there is a couple of things i do not know, like for instance, i do not have any payor agreements that this provider has with  his insurance, when i started his  claims were already behind and i cannot say that i am on top of it with the claims for when i started, i feel i am trying my utmost best. If my children is sick, this may sound crazy but they are not usually that hard to take care of i guess maybe if they have to be hospitalized that is a  different story. i try to put in about 30 4 hrs every day in the a.m. time before i pick my other children from school. If anything i may need your expertise in how to be more on top of my game. I would like to know what is the best way to work so that i can input my charges and and post payment and laso follow up on claim. The Doctor advised that i need to start follow up every month on claim that we did not get paid on. I also noticed and mentioned to him that when i go to pick up my work form his office, i find myself pulling files to get the information that i need to take care of a claim and he does not and said he cannot pay me for this but i cannot leave it and the office staff are not doing it, i get paid 3% not including self pay, capitated accounts and i do not get reimbursed for pulling files but if i do not get my information  i need i cannot get paid because if i need offiice note, i have to request it and then go and make copy for my self. WHat advise would you give me.

Tammy Harlan
August 21, 2008 @ 8:26 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Bibi,

Unfortunately, you have been mislead.  There are no available billing or coding "employment" opportunities from home.  If you desire to handle medical billing from home or from your own office, this requires that you begin your own business in medical billing/management.

Tammy Harlan
Medical Billing Course.com
www.medicalbillingcourse.com

Arthur
November 19, 2008 @ 11:01 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

actually, there are remote coding jobs where people can work at home.  I was wondering if someone could let me know what the minimum requirements for entry in a remote coding job upon graduating from college and getting the ahima certification

i have only read this forum a little bit and it seems to me that there is a question of misinformation being given, as well as alot of people, begging for work, or say, things like pointing people to e-books that you must somehow require by clicking on some banner ad.  it seems to me that this forum in particular might be a breeding ground for a somewhat shady side of human nature, where people captilize on peoples desires to simply, work from home.

Tammy Harlan
January 14, 2009 @ 8:19 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Arthur,

I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying.  "Coding from home" isn't typically handled in an "employment scenario."  If you are "coding from home"..  you are typically doing so in an "independent contractor" type situation.  If you are coding from a third party location, then you are doing so because you are a third party outsourcing entity who provides this service.

Same as medical billing.  If you are doing "medical billing from home", typically, you are doing this as a third-party outsourcing agency (who owns their own business).  You are not "employed"..  you are in business for yourself and you are servicing clients and invoicing them for your services.

Tammy Harlan
Medical Billing Course, LLC
www.medicalbillingcourse.com
(865) 286-9124
tammy@medicalbillingcourse.com

Mark
February 12, 2009 @ 4:34 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Bibi,

I wish to work from home on outstanding claims.Overall i have more than 10 yrs of experience in the entire revenue cycle of medical billing.

Please mail me at secure12345@yahoo.com for any work related to medical billing

Mark

patricia
August 11, 2009 @ 2:03 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Are you currently set up to work as an independent contractor/business? What is the name of your company? I think I can help you, email me at medbill99@yahoo.com

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc