New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: which to bill first
Topic Originator: sandra
Post Date July 5, 2005 @ 3:20 PM
which to bill first

sandra
July 5, 2005 @ 3:20 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi everyone,

This is my first time in this fourm. I just finished a at-home medical billing course, I want to do it from home after I retire. I had a very hard time finding a client, because I noticed that most doctors are dealing with a billing company. I wanted to get just ONE client so as to get my experience in so when I do retirte ( another 10 years or so) I will really know what I am doing. It was not working. I was then told to volenteer, and found that was just as hard, no one want to take the time and train you.

I was blessed to find a new doctor right across the street from where I presently work. This is evediently her first practice. She has a intern Medical Assistant, and I asked if I could intern as her Medical Biller.
The whole thing is wonderful, except this is the FIRST TIME for ALL of us.

After all that I have my first question, the doctor has a patient that has Medicaid and Medicare, which get billed first? I thought I read it was Medicaid, but soemone said it was Medicare.

Lisa Paoli
July 5, 2005 @ 10:47 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

You have to find out which one is primary and that's who you bill first

Lisa Paoli, CMRS
www.medofficesolutions.net
www.localchapters.net

Ashish
July 6, 2005 @ 1:54 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Sandra,

Medicare has to be billed primary in this particular case which u have mentioned.

For your knowledge-- when you have more then one payer and if one of them is medicaid, then  bill medicaid secondary.

IN simple words,  ALWAYS bill MEDICAID as LAST PAYER.

Thanks

ASHISH

Maureen Fogel
July 8, 2005 @ 4:58 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Here is a good hint in determining who is primary.  Medicaid is always last.  They do not want you to come to them for payment until you have exhausted all other possibilities.

SheiaJ
July 8, 2005 @ 6:13 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Medicaid is always last payer.

Ron
July 8, 2005 @ 7:15 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Bill Medicare first.  Medicaid is always the last payor.  As an assist, you can call Medicare on an 800 or 888 number and see how they are treating the patient.

sandra
July 12, 2005 @ 8:54 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thank you ALL SO MUCH !!!

sandra

Lucretia
July 20, 2006 @ 7:13 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Sandra

I have been Medicare/Medicaid for a while and Medicare is always primary to Medicaid. Medicaid is always secondary to any insurance except for DSCC another form of Medicaid. If you have any other questions please email me at lhamilton411@hotmail.com

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc