Medical Billing / Coding from home

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: billing from home
Topic Originator: Joelle
Post Date July 25, 2005 @ 8:36 PM
billing from home

Joelle
July 25, 2005 @ 8:36 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi, I'm getting ready to start an online course for medical billing because I want to be able to work from home.  I was told by the school I am going through that I would be able to work from home without having to have any prior experience.  Has anyone found this to be true.  I am not wanting to start my own business or anything I just want to work from home for a business doing medical billing.  Is that possible?

Amber
July 25, 2005 @ 9:18 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I started out looking for the same thing.  A company that would hire me to work from home.  There are not to many out there that I have been able to find and even less that will let you be to far away.  I ended up starting my own business from home and many people have been very successful with that route but I have not had much luck so far.  I suggest surveying your area first.  If you are noticing a lot of new practices opening up in your area it might be good to start your own company from home with just a few clients.

But if you are sure you do nto want your own business keep an eye out on this site I have seen many postions posted here.  

Monsterjobs.com has a listing for claims processor and that is an at home position nationwide.  You may want to look there it is not billing but claim processing is pretty close and you have to have knowledged in the same information.

Vallerie
July 26, 2005 @ 7:55 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I to am looking for work at home job. In billing and coding and can't seem to get any luck in doing so. I am located in Florida. Look like there should be many at home jobs available.

donna
August 19, 2005 @ 2:03 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Currently I am working from my home using the MedCom2000 software.  I took an eight hr billing/coding class, purchased the software and taught myself with a little help from a friend how to process the claims. The way you really learn is by getting on the phone and talking with the ins comps. You do have to have some sort of background in insurance.  The doctors I bill for are in the mental health field so the coding is very minimal.  I am in the market for another doctor..

laquanna
June 8, 2006 @ 2:53 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

An 8 hr. course sounds a lot better than a couple of months to finish a med. billing and coding course. Can you give me the website so that I may order that software also, because I am very ready to get started immediately and not a couple of months from now.

Bobbie
June 8, 2006 @ 3:24 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Your best bet is going to be to start your own business. You may want to get a mentor - someone already in the industry - that can help you get set up. Companies generally will not let their information leave their grasp just because someone wants to work from home. But, if you have your own business then you can market yourself in a better light - as in I'm taking this burden off your hands :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a website for your business? Check out my free 5 page website offer at http://pagebuzz.com/freesiteoffer2.html

john bazar
June 25, 2006 @ 2:29 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

hi. is it possible to get an online job about medical billing.? cuz i think they will not offer this kind of online lesson on medical billing/coding stuff if it there is no stuff like that. i dont have any experienced yet. i just done taking my online class in allied medical school on medical billing and i think im doing good grades. so can anyone here help me enlightened and give me some advices where to go and look for the so-called online job as a medical biller.

Leah
June 25, 2006 @ 2:02 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have never in my life heard of such a thing.  Perhaps you are speaking of telecommuting?

Wivine
July 8, 2006 @ 1:41 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Me neither!

Anonym
July 8, 2006 @ 3:14 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I'll be happy to have any informations concerning that kind of at home billing job from an existing billing company. I just completed my medical billing course.

Allison
July 11, 2006 @ 9:05 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have been coding for over 5+ years and have my CPC, I have been looking for over a year for a work at home coding/billing job.  Good Luck.

Ryan
July 11, 2006 @ 3:25 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

It is a myth that there are tons of at home billing/coding jobs out there. Many coding education companies/schools make it sound like there are tons of at home opportunities, but thats just to take your money. I teach medical coding for a community college and I am upfront with my students that doing billing/coding from home right out of school, is not reality....Find somewhere to get your foot in the door, and put your time in like everyone else, and maybe you'll stumble across that perfect opportunity...

Phyllis
July 11, 2006 @ 6:27 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have had a career spanning some 40 years in Medical Management including Billing and Coding. I think you should know that doing Billing from home may not be an option. Unfortunately, the "schools" that tell you that do so that you will spend money for their program. My recommendation is that you get a good Medical course through a local College, Technical School or Skills Center who have an externship program where you can get on the job training, referrals and hands on billing. If you have already spent money on this program, I wish you a lot of luck, but you should ask them how you go about getting clients and find out if they are willing to help you. Because of the new privacy laws, very few physicians are willing to turn their billing over to an outside source unless they are afflicated with a outsource company and definitely not to someone with no or little experience in knowing all of the intricate differences in insurance programs.

Tonia
July 14, 2006 @ 10:19 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

While the idea of billing from home sounds great, the opportunity is not as a lot of schools would lead you to believe. I have been in the Healthcare Industry for over 16 years, ranging from a receptionist to an instructor to a consultant, and I have never seen anyone begin a home based medical billing career straight out of school, or from taking a course. I am also CPC certified.
I am not saying it is impossible to work from home, however find yourself a stable provider to work with first, build a reputation amoung your peers,and go from there. And please do not pay a private school or purchase medical software over $12,000.00 to teach you have to bill from home.
Also, think about the HIPAA laws and how they will affect you billing from home.

Janet F
July 20, 2006 @ 10:13 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Please guide me in the right direction as far as the insurance companies are concerned. How can I contact them to get my foot in the door for a job. Even if it's for receptionist. I have my certification in medical billing and coding. I live in Michigan. Thanks!

Wivine
July 20, 2006 @ 4:46 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

You could start by working as a Claim Examinor in a Medical Insurance Company like Blue Cross and Blue Shield but make sure you have your computers skills in your pocket especially typing and ten key calculator.

Debbie Fazio
August 16, 2006 @ 2:48 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I absolutely agree with what you have said.  I to am an instructor and Program Director of a Vocationl college and hear the same things from all my students.  You would be hard pressed to find work at home opportunities in my area.  I don't know who or what is selling this idea, but I sure wished they'd stop.  There are VERY FEW of those opportunities and not everyone is cut out to start their own businnes.  It's a lot of leg work and clients are few and far between.

Leah
August 16, 2006 @ 7:04 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Well, Debbie, sadly it's the very schools that are doing it.  I used to think it was the less-reputable ones, but apparently a lot of the junior colleges and community colleges are doing it, too.

Leah
August 16, 2006 @ 7:05 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I should add it's also the less-reputable software dealers that also perpetuate this myth.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc