Outsourcing your Billing/Coding

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: billing and starting your billing
Topic Originator: medical billing
Post Date March 15, 2005 @ 12:03 PM
billing and starting your billing

medical billing
March 15, 2005 @ 12:03 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Medical Billing has become one of the most difficult things to do today especially when you start up there are cost and HIPAA compliance, not to mention that the OIG is now comming down on small billers for inproper billing. do you know that if a biller has many denials the OIG looks at it as possible fraud? one of our now clients got fined 20k because they found the biller was up coding. we started in 1999 and today we (with alot of hard work) have moved from our home to a 8k sq ft building with 25 employees.how we succeded was alot of canvasing and calling as well as creative thinking, if you can get through the front desk 90% of the time you will get the account. after all the front desk person that will stop you has a legit reason.... she is going to loose her job.

Cindy
April 29, 2005 @ 3:00 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

1st.. congrats and moving up.. I hope to be in that position some day.  I just started my biz and trying to get my 1st client.  I'm getting a little closer, with my first 2 phone calls the other day.. woohoo!  haha

Traci
May 2, 2005 @ 2:01 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Congrats you guys!! Cindy how did you get your 2 calls?

joe
May 2, 2005 @ 7:25 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

great job keep going. do not forget that persistance is the key or one of the keys to success

S M
May 4, 2005 @ 4:35 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Its a honour to get in touch with the peoples who have joined the new biz and growing. Just remember one thing in this biz that try to maintain the client even its 2 in all. Do not hesitate to grow the list of practices. try to give good and hard work to the existing clients

Regards
Health Care Consultant

Cindy
May 4, 2005 @ 8:11 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

my 1st 2 calls.. the first one said he rcvd my letter in the mail.  I sent out intro letters to Dr's all over.  He just happened to be looking for a billing company at that time.  The 2nd call, I'm not sure how they got my number being that I hadn't sent that area a letter yet and my number is not listed in that area as well.. not sure.  I called both offices back and the 1st one said they were discouraged about the amount of employees I have (my partner and I).  But he wanted me to fax him my contact info because he was on the road.  The 2nd office wanted me to send them more info.  We'll see what happens.  I did let the 1st office know that I has just started this biz and because of that, his accounts would get 100% of my attention.  I personally can handle about $300,000./mo of revenue.  Why should that matter??  haha

Ashish
May 5, 2005 @ 2:04 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

hi, basically i m living in india ( next world from USA) . I  am in field of medical billing for 5 years, working for a usa based firm .

I m working on medisoft for quite a long time. so have enough exp. on its working, so if u have any question regarding working on medisoft, feeel free to mail me on a1734@rediffmail.com

guadalupe
June 30, 2005 @ 7:28 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Miss. Ashish, I am looking for a coach, some one who will train me in the billing & coding field, I am certified, but haven't got lucky to find some one that will give me the opportunity to get started and get the hand on experience required to get the job, or the opportunity.

if you have any ideas, please, reply or e-mail me.

Thank you.

G. Lubeck

Michael
August 8, 2006 @ 5:08 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

We are medical billing company . I would like to know whether we could provide our services like charge entry, cash posing and AR follow ups to you for better cost and 100%quality

mike
November 17, 2006 @ 12:31 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I currently do billing for a 4 physician urological practice (I'm on site 4 days a week for around 6 hrs/day) and have 2 small clients (urologists also) on the side. Before I came to this point in my billing "career", I had personally turned around 2 medical billing companies (wow-I could tell stories that would make heads spin) and had worked in or with 4 or so billing companies before that learning the trade. I'm a "fluke" in this industry because not only do I love this field and the work, but I'm a "hands-on" person. For the 6 physicians that I have, I only have one person helping me part time (roughly 18 hrs week) putting in demos and doing follow up calls in regard to the aging and denials (which are scarce). I do the rest (billing,payment posting, reports, excel charts..etc etc).

All of this takes me roughly 27 hrs per week and I'm doing very well (into six figures), but I could be doing so much better. I'm also looking for new clients but am having an extremely tough time finding any.

Here are a few reasons why that it is tough getting clients:

1) Good luck getting through past the entry gates. When calling or mailing to a physician office, it is extremely difficult getting to a physician directly. Usually office staff opens the mail and will throw out anything that a billing company is sending. I've recently sent 300 professional letters to physicians and had received one response.

2) Most physicians (through my experience) don't know the business. They dont realize that there is a WORLD of difference in deciding who to give that billing sheet to. They don't know procedure codes (which change yearly) and dont keep up to date on the diagnosis codes either. They cost themselves huge sums of money by not picking up a CPT book and looking at the codes listed under their specialty (missing out on procedures they could be billing for and didn't know about). One of the urologists that I have came with me from a previous billing company. He had enough after the company kept changing his biller until I came along. Long story short, 50k was recouped going back 12-18 months and he went from making 84k/month to 108k/month.

3) As I touched on before, most billing companies have no idea what they're doing and its bad for the industry. They have huge turnover and don't get back to their clients questions. Instead their account is handed to 2 young 20-somethings who don't know what they're doing. With my experience with 6 previous billing companies, I know of 4 clients that have sued the company. Another BIG mistake physicans make with billing companies is that they have all of their checks sent to them directly. BIG BIG BIG MISTAKE. I personally caught 2 people stealing medicare checks from a previous company. They just simply signed the check and deposited them (they had an inside person in the bank). They were caught because the medicare was sitting in the aging and noone ever checked it until I came along. Call on one medicare problem and you find out it was paid, request a copy of front and back of check and voila....a simple match of the handwriting on the back of the check and the employee is caught. Another reason not to have billing companies as a pay-to address is that it "ties" you into them. Since it is such a pain in the neck to notify all insurance companies that you want to change your pay-to address (this could take up to 45 days to do for insurance companies to do) and then you have the inevitable "leaks"....some checks still go this pay-to address after the fact. If you are a physician, have the checks sent to you and not anyone else. Have your staff photocopy and forward to the billing company.

4) Most physicans are "emotionally" tied into their staff. They know they're losing money, but so and so has 3 kids or whatever. Now the other urologist I have on the side had a partner who he broke away from. I've recouped more than 30k from old billing that was written off/done incorrectly. So he tells his old partner about me and since they had THE SAME BILLER you would think he too would be interested. So he calls me one day and says he KNOWS he's losing money but he is "tied down" with this billing person. I've offered my services to consult/train her but haven't heard back.

I've advertised on Craigslist numerous times (only to get a ton of resumes) and have standing 10% "finders fees" to a bunch of people. I have mailed out over 1000 letters to no avail....so here I am typing this here (very nice site btw--just came across it).

A very profitable and rewarding industry to be involved in, but also very discouraging at times in looking for new clients. Hello and good luck all.

Renato Pereira
December 5, 2006 @ 2:21 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Michael,

I did see your email today and i will be very happy to assist you and our billing rates are very nominal.

We have a good setup in India, chenai with our offices in Virginia and Florida.

I would like to serve you free of cost for a week to judge our quality.

Please mail me at rpereira@acetera.com or you can give me a call
at 703-349-6585.

Thanks
Renato Pereira

Cheryl
December 6, 2006 @ 9:24 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I saw your post and am now encouraged.  I am starting my own business but so far only have the name registered.  Can you offer any advise on how to market and gain a client?  

Please email me at candrews@clearviewcatv.net

Robert
February 27, 2007 @ 1:33 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Guys,

How are you doing there?

Well guys i am very much interested in the Medical billing and coding to Purchase any companies are on Sale, Mergers, any Acquisitions, Joint Venture, Please do let me know we are ready to purchase it any investment...,,

Please do contact me on Pls.robert@gmail.com

VLV
April 2, 2007 @ 3:59 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hello Mike:

From your posting I see that you are expert biller and a hands on person but a poor marketer.  My company's marketing strategies has met with enormous success, however we do not have the right resource to leverage it.  I would like to discuss a potential opportunity with you if you are interested, please e-mail me with your contact details.

VLV
April 2, 2007 @ 3:59 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hello Mike:

From your posting I see that you are expert biller and a hands on person but a poor marketer.  My company's marketing strategies has met with enormous success, however we do not have the right resource to leverage it.  I would like to discuss a potential opportunity with you if you are interested, please e-mail me with your contact details.

Aakash
April 7, 2007 @ 8:28 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Robert,

We have Medicail billing company. Started three years back with one client (pratice) and right now we work for more than 12 clients. We have total staff of 45 strictly involved in all medical billing process . We have trained and experience billing managers who can manage many more paractices. Ritgh now we are concentrating on expansion by all means.

Write me if you are interested to know more about us or interested to join us.

Aakash
April 7, 2007 @ 8:29 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Contact me at akash.vasha@gmail.com

Bobbie
October 10, 2007 @ 7:27 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Just started my own business also. I worked for a large billing company, learned the ropes and what not to do, then went out on my own. It took a while to get things started so don't be discouraged. I developed a great relationship with clients from my old job and when there contracts were up, they came with us. Just be patient, once you get one client, do a great job for them, then they tell another client. Word of mouth is the best way to get clients.

Steve Verno
October 11, 2007 @ 11:13 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Excellent advice.

I just came from an apointment with my internal medicine doctor.  He seems to be having tons of problems getting paid and he knew I was a coder/biller.  So, after the appointment, I signed him on as a client.

I get many of my clients this way.

Gloria Cotto
December 2, 2007 @ 11:12 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Steve.  Have been reading your forums and have enloyed them.  

My question to you or anyone who gets on this forum:  If you have a home based medical billing service, does anyone do business with doctors in other states, not just your own?

G Cotto
Naples, FL

Pankaj Sarkar
April 16, 2014 @ 6:42 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hello Sir/Madam

We have the ample experience in medical billing for 5-6 years and we are the team of 4-5 people who are experienced in Ar follow up, charge posting and payment posting. We can handle 7-8 clinics.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc