Outsourcing your Billing/Coding

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: uneducated biller
Topic Originator: Raquel
Post Date March 8, 2010 @ 7:35 AM
uneducated biller

Raquel
March 8, 2010 @ 7:35 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

In some areas, none of the billers are certified in coding or billing.  Does anybody have this issue in their facility?  

In the facility that I worked in none of the billers are certified, so I am curious how other facilities handle this or if others hired educated billers only.

Thomas
March 24, 2010 @ 3:37 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Raquel, I do not think there is a certification requirement to be a biller.
Obviously if you did your coursework (I recommend medicalbilling.com) you should get a certificate that says that you succesfully completed the course. All this means is that you at least have the basic knowledge required to start billing and the rest will come with experience.
I do think however that you need some sort of certification to be a coder. These are two different things.
A coder may not neccesarily be a biller and a biller definitely cannot do coding unless they have the required training.

Raquel
March 25, 2010 @ 6:24 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

The only reason I am asking is because I live in a rural area and I know of some places that hire billers and they complete some of the coding duties.  I was curious if this was common in other rural areas.

Dottie Meece
October 31, 2010 @ 8:12 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I teach a lot of different classes. I can get you certified as a Registered Medical Coder. This would be awesome for the medical field. 1-812-893-0740 ask for Dottie

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc