BC Advantage Magazine

Outsourcing your Billing/Coding

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Buying project/outsourcing projects
Topic Originator: Barbie
Post Date May 10, 2008 @ 6:47 AM
Buying project/outsourcing projects

May 10, 2008 @ 6:47 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

How to get contact to buy the the Medical billing projects? Have seen many sites  but not convinced.

Deven Shah
August 4, 2008 @ 3:10 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Can you explain what do you mean when you say Buying project?

Do you have projects? or you want to acquire medical billing projects?

August 4, 2008 @ 11:18 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Deven,

I mean acquiring billing ,coding & old A/R projects.

August 11, 2008 @ 11:54 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Buying AR is very tricky.  Lets say a provider has (on paper) $500,000.00 in his old AR, at 180 days and older.  Anything over two years is probably worth less than 5% of face value.  From 1 to 2 years old is probably less than 25%, and that might be streching it due to timely filing contracts with different issuers (The credentialling aspect.)  From 180 days to 1 year you might get 25% to 50%.  Plus, it all depends on how much the billing is above collected rates.  If the Provider is only at about 125% of Medicare for most of his rates, you will have a better rate of collections than if the provider bills at 200% or higher.  Another factor controlling the rate of collections is determined by the codes the provider uses.  Were the procedurs and modifiers used correctly?  Will you have access to the billing software that controls the original billing?  Will you have access to Clearinghouse reports?  Paper submission reports?  EOBs related to the old AR?

Plus, is your office set up to have employees tying up the phone lines making calls to the IVR and then having to speak to live customer service personnel to see if the claim was processed, NOF, denied, paid, etc?  

You can also check with your local hospitals to see if the billing manager will outsource the over 45 days for early out.  Many non-medical billing departments use the early out program for statements over 30 days, but the medical claims probably need to be over 45 days for early out.

What is early out, you say?  Early out means getting the aging to an agressive collector early in the aging process.  WE offer this program to providers as an incentive for them to see if they need such a program.  If they do, then we move in for the whole billing process because their current billing is in trouble.  

The early out works for most insurances exept for Medicare.  Their rules state that only one billing source can bill medicare for a provider or facility.  Only in special circumstances will they allow more than one billing source to do this.  Check with your local Medicare office to see if you really want to pursue AR collections because of this issue.

Good luck in whatever you pursue.

The truth
August 12, 2008 @ 4:55 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

"Their rules state that only one billing source can bill medicare for a provider or facility.  Only in special circumstances will they allow more than one billing source to do this."

That may be a rule with your MAC, but it's certainly not universal.

The real problem with buying Medicare AND most Medicaid A/R is that it's flatly against federal rules and most state rules.

Can't locate the OIG ruling but here's a good article:

I tried posting a link but curiously this forum doesn't seem to allow it.   I guess you'll have to google it yourself!

August 24, 2008 @ 5:52 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

let me know which website u went to buy or search the projects.

i would like to go through it and let me give you another few more site to search on.

thanking you.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc