General Medical Billing Forum

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Help with this site.
Topic Originator: Karen Reeves
Post Date July 9, 2013 @ 5:40 PM
Help with this site.

Karen Reeves
July 9, 2013 @ 5:40 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Please note: you have used inappropriate words in your posting. Please go back and review your posting before submitting it again.

Karen Reeves
July 9, 2013 @ 5:42 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

FINALLY was able to post.  Look, I have a few questions I need to ask and this is the error message I keep getting.  

I want to stress that I am in NO way, shape, or form using inappropriate language.  I'm not even using anatomical language for male and female parts.  

Can someone please point me in the right direction to a forums that does not have this filter?  It is very important that I get a few questions answered ASAP!  Thank you so much!

Karen Reeves
July 9, 2013 @ 5:43 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hello!  My name is Karen and I am a student at Institute of Business and Medical Careers (IBMC) in Longmont, Colorado.  I am enrolled in the Medical Billing and Coding degree program and have carried a 4.0 GPA throughout my program.  I am set to graduate very soon.

Currently I am in a career marketing strategies class and have been assigned to ask a medical biller and/or coder a few questions regarding the job.  Since internet safety is of utmost importantce I've decided to ask my questions here, as a brief survey, and gather multiple responses instead.  If you're willing to assist me please post your responses as a reply to this thread.

Any help with my assignment is greatly appreciated.  Thank you, kindly, in advance.

1)  Do you work for a private firm, government agency, or nonprofit organization and what is your job title?

2)  What skills, education, experience, and knowledge are required to qualify for a position such as yours?

3)  Could you please, briefly, describe your daily duties?

4)  What personal qualities or traits do you feel are important in your work?

5)  What do you like the most and least about your job?

6)  What do you think is important to show in a resume for a position as a medical biller and coder?

7)  What advice can you give me about planning my career and job search and what advice can you give me about preparing and interviewing successfully?

Once again, I thank you very much for spending your valuable time on assisting me with my assignment.

Sophia K
July 10, 2013 @ 10:09 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

1)  Do you work for a private firm, government agency, or nonprofit organization and what is your job title?

Im a private consultant.  I have no job title.  

2)  What skills, education, experience, and knowledge are required to qualify for a position such as yours?

I undergo training, certification and additional training for CEUs and recertification.

There are too many to mention.  I work 12 hours a day and there isn't enough time to get everything done.

Honesty and thruthfulness.  

Most:  helping the doctor

Least:  dealing with the lazy,  uneducated and misinformed. I have to do twice the work with these.

6)  What do you think is important to show in a resume for a position as a medical biller and coder?

Training, certification and experience

7)  What advice can you give me about planning my career and job search and what advice can you give me about preparing and interviewing successfully?

Run away, run far and fast

Karen Reeves
July 11, 2013 @ 4:37 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thank you so much for your answers!  If anyone else is available to help me out with a few of these I would very, very much appreciate it!  Thanks again!  -Karen

Amy B.
July 16, 2013 @ 3:49 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Sure I would be happy to help you.

Private.

2-year degree from a technical school, possibly certifications, CPC, ect

General billing duties from superbill that is filled out by doctors.  Follow up.  I also may check-in patients on a busy day but usualy just work the check-out.

Compassion.  We're dealing with sick peole.  But remember your responsibility is to the provider, not the patient.  Balance things.  If provider isn't paid they can't continue to work.  You also need good attention to detail.

Dealing with sick patients who cannot pay.  My heart goes out to them.  That's the worst.  The thing I like best about my job is the environment in which I work and the people I work with.

Show that you're at least familar with basic code sets, HCPCS, ect.

Stay up-to-date on some of the rules, join a professional organization for their newsletters.  Make sure you dress appropriately for the interview.  I've seen too many people dressed inappropriately and I will not recommend them.  Look up on the internet for what to wear.  Also be confident.

Karen Reeves
July 17, 2013 @ 8:14 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thank you both very, very much for the help with this assignment.  I appreciate your time and effort on that.  Your help will go a long way in helping me finish up my final class.  Thanks again!

-Karen

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc