General Medical Billing Forum

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Self payer with some questions
Topic Originator: George
Post Date March 31, 2017 @ 1:23 PM
Self payer with some questions

George
March 31, 2017 @ 1:23 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I dropped Blue Cross last year after some 30+ years. The rates for a male in his early 60's were out of site. So I now self pay... and it is not easy.

The word "cash" seems to scare the heck out of folks at these doctors offices, x-ray clinics, blood test labs, etc. Most either they have no answer for me or just flatly say "we do not accept self pay, good bye". Some will say they need to check and call me back. Some do and some do not. Only a very few off up a reply like "pay at time of service and we will deduct XX %".

I have read on this forum it is not illegal to give a discount to self payers but it is not a good idea. I'm old enough to remember when you did pay the doc for an office visit before leaving. The cost was what some co-pays are today. Times have changed, but I see no reason someone should be denied service simply for handing over their credit card.

If rates for docs and services in a certain area fixed for Insurance A or Medicare then why are the rates so varied? My recent hunt for a low back MRI produced CASH prices from $600 all the way up to $3500 for locations all within a 20 mile radius. None were inside hospitals, which cost way more. One well known long standing radiology practice with some eight locations refused to give me their rate.

The exact same MRI code #. How can this be?

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc