General Medical Billing Forum

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Podiatry Injection Codes
Topic Originator: Mark
Post Date October 4, 2007 @ 11:36 AM
Podiatry Injection Codes

Mark
October 4, 2007 @ 11:36 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

We had a new pt consult who came to our office today. He had been seeing another podiatirst who had failed to cure his ailments and had been charging excessively. This group was giving nomal injections but using unnecessary ultrasound guiding. They were charging this pt $300 for the medicine in the injection. Any ideas as to what codes they were using ripoff this pt for this cortizonal medicine. Pt looking to take action against group. His average bill for ofc visit adn injection was >$900 with insurance. Insane. All help greatly appreciated

Steve Verno
October 4, 2007 @ 9:52 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Many patients feel doctors charge too much but the charges could be reasonable and customary for the geographical area where the services were provided.  

Patients call me every day sayng, "My insurance company says you charge too much."  Well, my providers charges haven't gone up in several years yet his malpractice went up 400%, and other expenses went up as well.  I feel my provider doesn't charge enough.

There are many factors when a provider establishes the charges.  They are practice expenses, malpractice insurance, and other factors.  Without knowing the codes selected, without reviewing the medical records, it is very hard to know if the provider charged too much.

Mark
October 5, 2007 @ 8:36 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I couldnt agree more with the state of reimbursement for our physicians. We are in the same geographical area as other provider. Our fee for the medicine is $9.53 insurance fee schedule adn he was charging for same medicine injection $400. Was wondering what code for the same meds he was using that is all.

The state of reimbursment is absolutely ridiculous at the moment and medicare is looking for another 10% cut for 08. And yet standard of living is up, salary is up, malpractice is nuts. The longer you work and the more experience you ascertain the higher your premiums are---what ????? But that rant is probably for another discussion forum.
Thanks for all your responses

Hollie
October 9, 2007 @ 11:39 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

In response to you code ? Try flourscopic guidance, 76000 series in the cpt book, we routinely bill for that for injections and it is almost never covered and per our contract with various insurnace companies we cannot bill the patient unless agreed in advance in writing. hope this helps.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc