General Medical Billing Forum

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: New Clients/marketing
Topic Originator: Janna
Post Date November 7, 2007 @ 8:13 PM
New Clients/marketing

Janna
November 7, 2007 @ 8:13 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hello.  I started a medical billing business home about 2 months ago and I dont have any clients yet.  I have been a medical biller for about 12 years and now I would prefer to set my own hours.  Can
anyone give advice on how to market billing to providers?

Steve Verno
November 8, 2007 @ 8:48 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Sadly, the market is glutted with people starting new, both starting their own company and graduating from classes.

As a result, practices are bombarded with fliers, pamphlets, calls, and personal visits. When they get anything in the mail or if you drop it off, it goes right in the trash. I am not saying this to discourage you, but I want you to know the truth and you need to do more than the same thing others are doing.  Lets face it, a flier is a flier, a pamphlet is a pamphlet and a resume is a resume.  They all say the same thing and there isn't much new anyone can say.  I get an average of 50-75 of these every day, by mail, by fax and through people walking in.  

Please understand that doctors are already using someone to do their billing for them. Many already outsource to someone as well. So, if you want their business, you have to be better and to show them that using you will make them more money. You have to show you already have the training that is required to do the job, you were the best in your training, and you are currently certified in medical billing.

If you came to me and said you just opened your own business, I want to see your educational background. I want to see your certification with a reputable medical billing organization such as the MAB. I want to see your training in my specialty. If you don't know it, why should I give you my business. You will only put me and my practice in jeopardy and you will cost me money because you have no clue about what I do.

If your business is at home, I want to know how much time you will devote to my practice. I also want to know if your business is capable of handling my practice. What have you done to make my patient information safe from theft, fire and natural disaster. Are you set up to handle the volume of calls from patients, insurance companies, regulatory authorities and attornies. How will you store all of the information I may send to you. Do you have a business plan and a compliance plan? Are you ready now to send claims electronically to Medicare, Medicaid and every other insurance company I deal with. Do you have fax capability, and scanning capability? How will you resolve my claims denials? Do you have experience with appealing a denial or incorrect payment? What reports can you provide me each week, each month and each quarter. Can you provide me with reports as I request them? How do you work my A/R with accounts over 90 days old? Do you let my accounts get to 120 days? How do you handle patient privacy? What do you do when you decide you wish to take a vacation? If you work at home and you have children, what will you do when your child is sick? With a child, how much time is devoted to your child and how much time is devoted to my practice? If you have your business outside of your home, how many employees do you have? What is their educational and certification background? Do you do background checks on your employees? Do you agree to my performing a background check and a drug test on you? What will you do with my data if I have to terminate you? What will you charge me to do the work? How much more work will I have to do if I give you my business.  How much will my copying expenses increase?  How much will my mail expenses increase?  How much will my staff have to devote to you to get you what you require if you work from home or elsewhere?  How much will you tell me I have to pay to use you (start up fee) before a dime is even brought in.

Remember, I see about 50 of you every day.  All of you want me to use you.  All of you say the same thing with your marketing.  I am happy with my current biller.  My biller has the training, my biller has certification, my biller has the experience and my biller is bringing me lots of revenue and my A/R is $0 beyond 90 days.  So, what do you have that will be better than this.  You answer that, you have my attention.

ben
November 15, 2007 @ 9:19 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

That is why you DO NOT OPEN UP A HOME BASE COMPANY.

Go Open a full company.

Go hire a Certified Coder , Billers, and More Coders.

Than you got 10 years of company experience.

And than you will have easy time finding clients.

Ben

Ammie
January 29, 2008 @ 10:57 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Janna,

You may contact me personally at ammie@medicalbillingcourse.com. Many home based businesses succeed. I am sure I can assist you and you can have a successful home based business.

angelina
February 25, 2008 @ 9:14 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Amiee I seen your reply to Jana on opening a home based medical billing company... I am in the same boat can I contact you for advice?

Thank you
Angelina

Ammie Lyons
May 6, 2008 @ 10:49 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi all, sorry for the delay in a reply. I am busy in the office and rarely have time to read all post. I try to help when I can. ANYONE may conact me... by email ammie@medicalbillingcourse.com or 865-286-9124 ext 14. I have clients that come to me that have providers waiting on them to get the training and softare and other things needed to start the billing. I also have clients that need marketing support and assistance. Sometimes just someone to talk to and someone to listen. I have more clients here lately tell me "thank you for your time, you are the only person I have called today that has actually talk me" I look forward to hearing from you, even if you just need to ask some questions.

Ammie Lyons
Student Services Administrator

Michelle Rimmer
May 7, 2008 @ 12:10 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Guys,

Steve is correct! Don't quit your day job yet!  However, You can email me as well at lmboadm@aol.com if you have any questions on start-up!

Get certified!  Take training courses!

Rosalind Greer
May 31, 2008 @ 5:39 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have been certified in MedicaL Billing and Coding for about 8yrs Iwould like to start a home base Medical Billing and Coding, but I don't know how to get started. I would reall appreciate it if you could helpme with helpful hints about how to go about starting a Home Base Business in Medical Billing. Thanks Roz.

Steve Verno
June 1, 2008 @ 9:23 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Amanda

I dont feel we are discouraging anyone.  All we want someone to know is that it is not going to be easy to start a business.

I spoke with a woman the other day who called me and was so upset. She and her husband quit their jobs to start this because they heard they could make lots of money doing thia and they were told they needed no training.  The spent every penny they had to get their business started and in marketing. They got a client and after a few months, they were fired because the client was getting claims denied and no money was coming in. They said the doctor was being investigated by the State for posible violations of Florida law because they balance billed HMO patients.   They called asking me if I could get them a client and to teach them the right things to do.  They said they are losing their home from not paying their mortgage because of no money coming in, so they are desperate.  They also said the State of Florida and the local city, ares closing them down because they did not follow Florida Law regarding starting a business and their residence is not zoned for business. The homeowners association sent them cease and desist orders because the codicills of the HOA proibits a home business.  

I could not help in getting them a client. But again, I do not discourage anyone, but I want people to know it wont be easy.  I have students from a year ago that cant find a provider to work for because in my area, the area is flooded.  There are jobs opening but they are closed as quickly as they open.  Every day, I get e-mails from people discouraged because they cant find a client.  Here in Florida, doctors are getting fed up with the way the HMOs dont pay and the lack of help from the regulaory authorities such as the Insurance Commissioner and AHCA.

On a side note, I contacted AHCA, who regulates Medicaid and asked them a simple question... what does a provider do when a Medicaid patient refuses to provide Medicaid information and after they are sent to a collection agency, it is then when the patient complains toAHCA and then AHCA says to remove the patient from collections but the timeframe to send a claim has expired.  What AHCA said was that the problem lies with the hospitals in not getting the Medicaid information.  I diagreed and said the problem lies with the patient, so what do we do about the patient.  Again AHCA said the hospital has to do more to get the information.  I again said, what if the patient continues to refuse this information. The hospital has to do more. This is typical AHCA garbage.  So, doctors are saying the heck with this, I'll leave medicine and Florida.

Look at what you said, you work longer hous but you have saisfaction with what you are doing.  The people I speak with or e-mail with feel that you can do this part time and can make $XXX of money.  I want people to know, doing this from home will not be part time work and the money you make is what you make from it.   Before my stroke, I was making more than $100,000 from home, but I worked 18 hours per day and it wasnt easy.   I worked for more than one client.  My bggest expense was postage because you cant send appeals electronically with attachments.  

I encourage everyone that wishes to do billing from home, but you need to know you will work hard.  You need to follow your State and Local laws regarding starting a business. You need enough money to live n for at least 3 months.  Here is a simpe list of things but you may or may not need all of it:

Corporation Filing Documents
Fictitous Name filing
Federal Tax ID Number
Medicare and/or Medicaid Billing Sgent Number
Medicare and/or Medicaid Electronic filing approval
County, City, Occupational License
Fire Marshall Inspection of Premesis
Seprate Computer or Laptop
Billling software
Clearinghouse contract
Printer
Scanner
Scanning software
Office supplies
Lots of copy paper and printer toner
Dedicated phone (cell or landline)
Internet service
Answering Machine or Voice Mail service
Tax Preparer or Tax Software
Marketing Materials
CMS 1500 claim forms for secondary claims or primary that cannot be sent electronically
Shredding machine
Fireproof safe
Proposal for Provider
Filing Cabinet
Fax Machine with land line
Wordprocessing and spreadsheet software
Antivirus software
Computer backup software
Notary services
Health or Life Insurance
Errors and Ommissions Insurance
Medical Billing Training
Copy of State Insurance laws (For Reference purposes)
Medicare and Medicaid provider reference manuals.
Copy of provider contracts
If you arent going to scan documents and charts, then secure storage facility)
Envelopes if doing patient biling or sendng paper claims.

Again, some of this may not be needed, depending on Sate or Local goverment requirements or what is currently available.

S. Grant
June 10, 2008 @ 11:05 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I started my home based billing practice a few months back and I still do not have a client. I have most of the things steve listed and I am trained.  I have work for some of the most well knew Hospital and organizations in New York state, I receive job offers all the time to work in clinics or hospitals but I can not seem to land a client.  What can I do?

rosalyn kenyon
June 10, 2008 @ 5:30 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

hi my name is rosalyn kenyon  i am try  to find a home based bussines so i can work  'from home can you  help me  please .                                           thank you.

Michelle Rimmer
June 10, 2008 @ 11:57 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

S. Grant,

Hang in there is my advice!!!  When I started my home-based billing business back in 1997, there were only 3 others in my whole county--now, I can't even tell you how many there are!!!

Steve is correct in all of his advice---he is not trying to discourage anyone--just wants people to know the 'real' side of it.  Some of us are lucky--I got my first client after only 3 weeks of marketing, but that was only because he was brand new to the area and just opened his practice!!!

Here are some helpful hints:
*** Look at others counties in your state where billing services might not be as saturated, north? South, East, or West of you???

***Fax every medical ad in the newspapers, NOT just the ones hiring for medical billers

***Ask your PCP, your kids pediatrician, your OB/GYN---ao of your family docs and see if there is a need or if they know of new docs starting out that may need your services

***Read those free small local newspapers out out ny your town, you know the ones I am speaking of....they're in drug stores, supermarkets, etc....  Usually, new docs or practices will take out an ad for their "GRAND OPENING"---give them a call or stop by

***Ask any family or friends who have a retail business if you can leave your cards in a holder on their counter

My dentist allows me to leave my biz cards for my health claims assistance business at his front counter.......

GOOD LUCK to all of you starting out!!  Much Success and believe me, the feeling you will have when you land that first client will make all of your hard work worth the wait!!!!

Michelle Rimmer, CHI,CBCS
President-Professional Medical Billers Association www.pmbausa.com
Owner-Learn Medical Billing Online www.learnmedicalbillingonline.com

sonia
June 27, 2008 @ 7:50 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi, Ammie,

This is sonia. I had forwarded you my companies profile today. pl. let me know if there is anything we can talk abt relating to this field and mutually benefit each other.

Thanks

Sonia

Judy Hill
September 5, 2008 @ 11:02 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Ammie I was reading your space. I also am very interested in starting a home based medical billing company. I have been in the medical field for over thirty years. I am in the process of taking a coding class to be come a Certified coder. I have my training for Medical Claims Processor.

Any suggestions or comments you may be able to provide to me.  I will await to hear form you. We visited Pigeon Forge, Tenn two years ago , a beautiful place to live. How blessed you are.

Sincerely,

Judy Hill

Gloria
April 22, 2010 @ 5:15 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

This is in reference to some of your comments: I see your point of view.  This makes me stop and thing twice, three times about going into business at this point and time,for my self as far a medical billing. I know if I had my own business I would prefer to hire a person(s) with experience.  Don't get me wrong, everyone needs a chance, especially beginners to get your foot in the door. You would have to show me something besides your promise that the work will be done right. When it's time for my money to come in I don't want any screwups. I do believe I'll stay where I am for now.  I'll know when the time is right, to move higher.  BILLS HAVE TO BE PAID!!!!!

Aurelia
February 26, 2008 @ 8:53 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Aimee. Like everyone else I also want to start my medical billing business. How can you help me get it started. I am planning to get the basic medisoft software. I am also a Certified Professional Coder (CPC) which I believe can really help me in marketing myself.

Please advise.  thank you

Jan Tjernlund
February 27, 2008 @ 9:09 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I think Steve gave you excellent advice.  When I read your e-mail, the first thing that popped out at me was "I want to set my own hours".  I have been in medical marketing and administration for over 20 years. This past seven in a medical billing company.  To succeed in this business, you need to have the commitment to putting your lifestyle desires on hold for a time and give 100% plus of brains, expertise, sweat, heart and soul into suceeding.  Our company started with 4 clients in 1989 and now has 141 clients.  We specialize in one modality and know that speciality and all the uniqueness inside and out.  We have upgraded software several times to meet new requirements of Medicare and to move out of one state into another.  Client referral has been our major means of growth.  I work for a company and not at home and give at least 60 hours of week on straight salary because that is what is needed in these highly competitive times (off-shore and India-based companies are willing to work for a very low fee)-you need to be the best, deliver the results better than anyone else and make sure your client believes that they are your absolute priority.
Jan

Liz Jones
February 27, 2008 @ 2:09 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Unfortunately many purchase software and are told they will learn everything they need to be a successful billing center.  What they are taught is how to use the software.  There are successful billing centers out there but you have to work at it - the clients will not come to you.

When I started my business I made it a point to hit 200 practices a week to hand out information but I would not visit the same office more than every 3-4 months.  I visited one office many times and was told "No, the doctor's wife does the billing."  One day when I walked in the receptionist eagerly greeted me, she said the doctor's wife left him and they had months of claims to process - they were holding them for me to stop in again.  So yes, most offices do throw out your information as soon as they get it.

It's not an easy business to get started, but you can be successful if you keep marketing and you have to be willing to put in long hours.  Learn everything you can, take classes, get certified and if they ask you a question you can't answer get back to them with the answer.

Don't be discouraged, dust yourself off and get out there!

Merrilee Severino
February 27, 2008 @ 10:35 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I had a lot of help from the physician liason at local hospital whom allowed me to speak at practice manager office luncheons.  Try speaking for any lunch and learns you can.  You have to give to get.  Give them something you know that can help them increase their revenue to help them see what great value you would be.  I am happy to share some of the low cost marketing ideas I have used.  feel free to contact me msppmrc@gmail.com can look at my website too www.yourbusinessmedic.com

Amanda Maldonado
March 4, 2008 @ 11:21 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have a very successful home based business, I don't know why you would discourage anyone??  Its not what people think though I put in more hours now than working for someone else but its worth it.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc