General Medical Billing Forum

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Types of insurance
Topic Originator: Sandhya
Post Date August 9, 2008 @ 9:05 PM
Types of insurance

Sandhya
August 9, 2008 @ 9:05 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Can anyone tell me what different types of insurances and what are the details I need to know in each type of insurance that helps for medical billing?

steve verno
August 10, 2008 @ 3:55 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Please dont take my answer wrong.

In one post, you state you are in an online medical billing course.  I responded I cannnot help a student as it would be deemed academic cheating.

Then you responded you are not in an online medical billing course, that you are training yourself.

Your current question sounds like an online homework assignment.  Now, if it is not a homework assignment, it give the appearance that you want us to train you in medical billing.  

This is a question I have seen about 100 times over the last 15 years and no one has the hours to devote to telling you the details of an HMO or PPO.  

Medical billing forums are not the place to go to to have someone train you.  You need to enroll in a formal educational program if you arent already enrolled.  

Again, I am not trying to be hurtful.  If you are enrolled in an online billing course as you first said, you must do your own homework.  No one can help you other then your instructor.  If you say you are not in an online billing course, they you are undergoing self training, what are we to believe, you are or you arent in a class.  NO matter, we cannot take the place of proper training.

Sandhya
August 10, 2008 @ 4:28 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Steve,
     I nowhere mentioned that I am doing online course. In my first post "Questions on Copay", I mentioned doing medical billing course. Futher on the same topic, I mentioned studying myself.........this both are true. Why I told MBC because I am searching all the information regarding MB from the internet resourse and studying myself. The questions on "Types of insurance" can no further be my home work or any assignment from anyone. I just asked if anyone could answer me which could be some sort of help.........as I cannot afford for the MBC online or from schools. I am not cheating anyone. This is for true. It's all depending on you, if you can believe me or not. Reply...............

steve verno
August 10, 2008 @ 9:13 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Here is what you posted:

I am doing medical billing course

True, you never said it was online. I said your questions sound like they come from an online course.  none the less, you stated you were in a medical billing course.  

Again, if you are undergoing self training, I will repeat, that a forum is not a teaching facility.  I do recommend you undergo a formal training program under the supervision of a trained instructor.

Michelle Rimmer,CHI,CBCS
August 10, 2008 @ 10:12 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I agree with Steve.  There is no possible way any of us could teach you all there is to know about Medical Billing on this forum.  true, you did not ask everything, but one question might lead to another, so on and so forth. I agree, your post did sound like you were taking the medicalbillingcourse.com program. That's what I assumed, as well, when I read it.

If you cannot afford an entire program, consider taking one course per semester.  Local community colleges offer these courses anywhere between $200-$350 per course (at least in my area-NJ).

anonymous
August 11, 2008 @ 8:52 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Sandhya

Your question cannot be answered in a simple answer.

There are more than 10,000 insurance companies located in my state alone and to tell you about every one and to give you a detailed answer is impossible.  

Even if you were asking about the type of different policies the answer is the same.  You may have an HMO, bi each HMO policy is different per patient per insurance company.  

Im self taught but I learned when biling was simple, not like today.  My questions are , how will you know you are done with your training?  How will you explain to your client, your self taught training. How do you plan on resolving issues you didnt learn?  

Right now, your question cannot be answered. There are books out there that has the answers: Insurance Handbook for the Medical Office and Medical Billing 101.  Today, I would never think of training myself.  It's become too complex for self training.  Are there any local classes near you? Are you US based or outside the US?

Sandhya
August 11, 2008 @ 10:13 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thanks Steve, Michelle, Anonymous.
I am sorry for giving so much of troubles.  I understand that I should join some course inorder to get required information. Currently, I have not taken any program.  I will try to buy Insurance Handbook for the Medical Office and Medical Billing 101. There are no any community college nearby. I am living in India. I looked at medicalbillingcourse.com. I think it is good. May be I will enroll in that program. Thanks for the information.

steve verno
August 12, 2008 @ 7:39 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

No need to apologize and no trouble has been done, just a minor misunderstanding.  

Maybe you might think about some other line of work as you can see how complex and difficult this profession can be.    

If you think researching and teaching yourself is difficult, wait until the providers, insurance companies, regulatory authorities, and patients get ahold of you.  They'll eat you alive.

Michelle Rimmer
August 12, 2008 @ 11:10 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Sandhya,

I am only mentioning this because you mentioned possibly buying the 'Medical Billing 101' book.  In case you weren't aware-I am the author of that textbook.  I am also the owner of the Professional Medical Billers Association, and on my training site, we offer individual Medical Billing Courses and two Medical Billing Certificates.  Our course 'Medical Billing 101' comes with the textbook included with the course fee.
My site is www.learnmedicalbillingonline.com

Feel free to email me at lmboadm@aol.com if you have any questions.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc