Medical Billing Coding - ICD-9 code for encounter for review of lab tests, cpt, codes
medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine

Billing-Coding.com

(FORUM HOME)

General Medical Coding Forum

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: ICD-9 code for encounter for review of lab tests
Topic Originator: Sandy
Post Date June 25, 2009 @ 2:47 PM
ICD-9 code for encounter for review of lab tests

Sandy
June 25, 2009 @ 2:47 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Is there a specific ICD-9 code for an office visit with the PCP to review the results of bloodwork.  I don't think V72.6 would cover it since it's not an examination.  I'm using using the individual diagnoses, i.e., hyperlipidema, elevated fasting glucose, etc.

Fran
June 25, 2009 @ 9:16 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Coding review of labs is simple.  Basically you use the same code that was used when the lab work was ordered.

The OV gets the code that generated the lab work.  If the labs was a metabolic panel-the presaenting symptom was probably something like -780.79 fatigue-the OV to review would be the same.  If the lab was to monitor cholesterol in a patient taking a statin-you would use the elevated cholesterol & v58.69-monitor long term medication.

Sara
October 30, 2012 @ 1:32 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

What if the lab review was from the previous visit of a Preventative Exam and the labs were ordered under V70.0?

Daphne
November 5, 2012 @ 2:14 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am trying to code for the same thing.  Review of bloodwork that was ordered under the V70.0 code.  Did you find out how to code this?

paula
March 5, 2014 @ 1:35 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Nursing Home patient. encounter for lab review only. no other conditions. Urine--positive nitrates, but the NP did not give the dx of UTI. what dx should i code this visit?

Lakiesha
March 11, 2014 @ 7:08 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hello,

Without more information such as any signs/sx or reason for the lab review, you could try v72.60.

Marshall
March 23, 2014 @ 9:36 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

We use V22.20

sunil clement
April 3, 2014 @ 3:29 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

you can use v65.49 along with other dx codes. That should solve the confusion

Lien N.
February 16, 2016 @ 12:04 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

ICD-9 is in the past. But I came across this forum and wonder how you could use this V22.20?
This code is an invalid code. There's a V22.2 (Pregnant state, incidental) which is not a principal or first-listed diagnosis code.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc