General Medical Coding Forum

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: V70.0 correct use
Topic Originator: Richard M in Tucson
Post Date October 1, 2009 @ 1:12 PM
V70.0 correct use

Richard M in Tucson
October 1, 2009 @ 1:12 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

We have a coder that insists that V70.0 is to be used for everything from lab work to office visits to immunizations and no there is not a preventitive care visit being done(ie:physical exam or well child) I feel this is incorrect use of the V70.0, but as she is a coder I am being dismissed as incorrect. If I am incorrect then lesson learned but if I am correct I have a ton of claims going out wrong. HELP.

geanetta
October 3, 2009 @ 10:57 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

If she is billing for an adult V70.0 is accurate and will cover immunizations.

If she is billing for a child, she should be using V20.2 which will also cover immunizations.

If she is billing for immunizations only, no physical, she should use the individual vcodes for example: 90700 DTap should be coded as V06.1 and so on for each immunization.

JA
October 3, 2009 @ 1:50 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I think V70.0 is only for preventive visits/well exams.  If the visit is for an illness, such as sore throat, the visit would be coded 9921X with 784.1 throat pain or 462 pharyngitis or whatever the Dr. decides, as well as the lab sheet with a throat culture coded 462 or 784.1.  Some insurance carriers audits deny V70.0 if it is not coded with 9939X or 9938X.  Hope this helps.

Richard in Tucson
October 6, 2009 @ 1:43 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thanks for the answers, But what about labs, example: pt comes in provider sees pt for say a cut on the arm or something general like that..provider then is for some reason ordering a lab series and using the v70.0 for the lab dx. with most insurances doesn't this then ruin the once a year well visit?

Marianela
October 6, 2009 @ 3:59 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

For Lab it has to be a reason why the provider it's order them and yes unless the lab are part of a physical then they need a valid code. I come a cross this all the time and not only my claim will denied but also the lab will have their claim reject too. if not clear of the dx ask the provider.

Brian
October 9, 2009 @ 10:56 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

V70.0 should only be used on labs when they are part of a health check and there is no other code that describes why the test was done.  When labs are done with a sick visit, the associated DX should reflect the reason the provider decided to do the test.  Example: patient comes in with a fever and sore throat, provider does a strep test 87880 with DX of 780.60 (fever) or 462 (pharyngitis) or such other DX as the provider deams apropriate.  To put V70.0 on this claim at all would indicate that the person is well and their was no reason for the test to be given.

D Head
October 11, 2009 @ 12:06 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

V70.0 is the universal code for all visits

Doug Head, CMPC-P, CMPC-H
certified medical professional coder

lori
November 11, 2009 @ 10:53 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I use the screening codes. ie: v81.2, v77.1, v77.0, etc.  Ask the provider to be specific on what he is screening for w/ labs.  I have had no problems w/ this.

brian
November 16, 2009 @ 1:44 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

V70.0 states "Routine general medical examination at a health care facility."  
This does not make it a "universal code for all visits".  It is only appropriate for a routine general medical examination and the tests associated with said examination.

Michelle Rimmer
November 25, 2009 @ 8:56 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

To add, if the patient comes in for a well visit and during the visit, mentions a separate ailment, the CPT code for prev visit should be used with the ICD-9 of V70.0, with modifier 25 to the prev CPT and followed by an OV CPT code with the appropriate ICD-9 for the ailment.

appsservices
July 8, 2010 @ 6:43 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

There are many screening codes, but V70.0 is for a General Exam, and if blood work is ordered for Baseline purposes look at V78.9, and if cultures are taken to screen for infection look at V75.9.

V70.0 may not be covered and denials with patient responsibility has been audited by me against providers, as it shows a way for providers to capture patient balances due that they were not entitled to.  Best to Be concerned and be careful.  A word to the wise. -df/auditor

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc