Medical Billing Coding - Just Beginning. All advice appreciated! , cpt, codes
medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine

Billing-Coding.com

(FORUM HOME)

General Medical Coding Forum

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Just Beginning. All advice appreciated!
Topic Originator: Katie
Post Date February 19, 2013 @ 8:56 PM
Just Beginning. All advice appreciated!

Katie
February 19, 2013 @ 8:56 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I'm interested in beginning a career in medical billing and coding. I would like to self study. I know I'll need to cover medical terminology but what else? And what materials should I use? Also any information on the field an where to begin is awesome. I've researched and found that a position in medical billing and coding is very challenging if you don't have experience and that many people begin by volunteering. I do have some experience from when I was a receptionist in a home health office but not enough...where can I volunteer?

Marvin
February 24, 2013 @ 3:21 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Save yourself some grief.  Get a job at McDonalds, Burger King or Walmart.  This wont be something to your liking. Insurance companies will eat you alive.  Ive been looking for work for 5 years and cant get hired.  I have no experience and no one wants someone with no experience.  Im also self taught but anytime Im stuck, I get someone on the forums to do my work for me.  Why should I do anything when I can get them to do it for me.

Katie
February 25, 2013 @ 11:23 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Why wouldn't it be something to my liking?

Marvin
February 25, 2013 @ 3:22 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

You have to do whatever it takes to get the claims paid as well as in class to be the top student.  If that means you have others do your classwork assignments, if you submit a higher coded claim using modifier 59 and be on the phone with the insurance company to get the claims paid, that is what you do.  If you dont, the doctor will fire you for bringing in low revenue and you wont make honor graduate in class.  You want to have high scores on your homework and your tests and that means you get someone else to do your assignments.  THis is a hard job with lots of stress to make the doctor happy.  If you dont show you are the best someone will come along and take your job away from you.  All doctors want to see are checks and I will do anything I can to make that happen.  The classroom assignments are long and boring scenarios and you want someone else to do them for you if you want a high score.  Results are what people want to see.  I am going to have to lie about my experience to find a job because no one wants to hire you if you dont have experience.  Lying on a resume is how it is done now.  My references are my friends who will say I have lots of experience.  Once you're hired, you can go to the forums to get others to give you the answers.  Thats all that counts. If you arent willing to do that, this wont be for you.  I was on line at unemployment and most of those there are out of work billers. I heard my friend had to file for bankruptcy because no one wanted to hire her.  She had no experience.  I wont allow that to happen to me.

Steve V
February 25, 2013 @ 6:30 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Katie

Ive been a coder and medical biller for 20 years and I teach medical billing.  if this is your desire and your goal, then go for it.  if I can do this at age 60, there is no reason why you cant do it.  If I can do this after open heart surgery and a stroke, then you can also do it.  

My students tell me I was a hard teacher and yes I was.  But, by making their training hard, they had no problems getting hired. They took every challenge they faced and they succeeded with hard work and honest work.    They didnt have to lie to get a job.  They didnt have to use the internet to get someone to do their homework.  they worked hard and they excelled.  Doctors want someone honest, they want someone they can rely on so that they can concentrate on medicine and they dont have to worry that they will be audited.  That is where you will come in handy.   Honesty and hard work is what makes our profession great.  We have thousands of honest medical billers out there.  Yes, there are some who are dishonest but they do get caught and they do get fired. Since my recovery, Ive met many of my former students and they are in excellent jobs and they are highly respected by their employers, not because of me, but because of who they became through hard work.  Ive spoken to many who cant find work, but that is the same with many professions.  We are not immune to the hardships our country faces.  Ive fought the insurance companies and they are not as scary as some want you to think.  If you did everything you were supposed to do, getting denials are not hard to overturn.  If you submitted a clean correct claim, it can be paid.  I never fear an audit and when I go to bed at night, I know I can sleep soundly because I did everything right.  Ambien and some hot cocoa helps as well.    I challenge you to excell in school and as you near the end of your training, use your knowledge to find the doctor who will benefit from your education.  Work with local billers to form alliances, attend local medical billing chapter meetings to take advantage of free seminars provided by industry experts. I give free monthly seminars for free in my area through my local medical society and office manager associations.    BC Advantage has so much available for you to improve your knowledge.  Ive personally provided them with seminars, guidebooks and many other tools you can use. BC Advcantage magazine is a wealth of information.  Their editorial board is second to none.  I have a simple philosophy:  Never give up and never surrender.  Welcome to our profession and I wish you many years of success.  Never let anyone take you away from your dreams.  Im a medical biller and Im proud to be one.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc