Post Date May 5, 2006 @ 4:44 PM
Neurolysis left groin area

Sara
May 5, 2006 @ 4:44 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hello everyone,

I have a surgery that the physician's office and I (the ASC) were taught
to use different codes for the same surgery. Can anyone help clear this
up to see what is the most accurate code for neurolysis in the inguinal
area.  I was always taught to use 64708 if there is no neuroma (64784 if there is) and the coder at the physician's office was always told to use 64772.  Please see op note below.

PREOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS:Neuroma versus nerve entrapment, left inguinal area.
POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: Neuroma versus nerve entrapment, left inguinal area.
OPERATIVE PROCEDURE: Neurolysis, left inguinal area and lateral thigh.

The patient was brought to the operating room and placed under general anesthesia. The left inguinal area was prepped and draped in a sterile fashion. The previous incision was opened and extended laterally. The entire inguinal floor was exposed deep to the external oblique and to the iliac crest and then lateral to iliac crest, the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve was identified trapped in scar. This was freed up, and the nerve was lysed. Completing this, the external oblique was closed with running 0 Surgilon. The area was infiltrated with 0.25% Marcaine with epinephrine. The subcutaneous tissue was closed with 2-0 Vicryl, and the skin was closed with running 4-0 Vicryl. The wound was dressed. The patient was taken to the recovery room in stable condition.

I have listed this on a couple of different listservs and have only had one response so I am just looking to get a little more feedback.

Thank you everyone for your assistance!

Sara

John
May 8, 2006 @ 11:33 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Why don't you try running the codes through DocOfficeRx.com. Their Coding Resources have CCI/LMRP crosschecks

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc