Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: 13+ years coding experience and certified
Topic Originator: Karen
Post Date January 30, 2009 @ 10:25 PM
13+ years coding experience and certified

Karen
January 30, 2009 @ 10:25 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Does anyone know of a company that hires Coders who work from home? I have plenty of experience and am not just getting out of school but I am having a hard time finding openings to work out of a virtual office, any suggestions?

anonymous2
February 2, 2009 @ 8:13 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

If I can ask, who is telling you that there are companies out there that might be hiring coders who work from home.  Seems everyone is asking this same identical question in the same way. I havent seen any company out there called Coders R Us.  

Here's whats out there:

1) Coders who start their own coding or billing company
2) medical billing companies that hire coders
3) Hospitals that hire coders
4)  Clinics that hire coders
5)  Physician Practices that hire coders.

When you leave the highway offramp, there isnt a person carrying a sign that says "Looking for company to hire me tocode from home... for food. or maybe the company you've been told about is next to the new Bed Bath and Beyond, near the China House opening next week.  

If you wish to work from home, you should start your own company and market yourself to the billing company, clinic, hospital or provider practice.

Me
February 2, 2009 @ 8:28 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

As my experience as a Billing Manager I was always getting the resumes and interviews who when I asked "where do you see yourself in 5 years" there response was working from home and everywhere you look there are coding sites stating work from home just take this certified course and as a Billing Manager I often thought good luck. But having the experience I have and the knowledge and accreditation I still am having a difficult time finding any employment. I am a networker and have the knowledge and capability to start my own consulting company or coding group but I to have worked in Medical Outsourcing and feel that most physicians are going to want to keep there coders in house or at least reachable via phone or internet within one phone call.

I am sorry you are so upset that I posted a question on a forum for medical coders that asked all of the time especially with the cost of commuting. I have always been employed with the physicians office and the billing company and I feel a great need to expand my knowledge to other sources such as consulting or auditing. I understand there is no sign posted but there is someone who knows someone who needs a qualified coder or consultant on hand and this would be me, this is the reason for the post. Thanks for your time.

me
February 3, 2009 @ 9:51 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Ok I agree. I am not one of those self taught medical billers, I am a 13 year coder with several certifications and like you everyday I had job seekers telling me they are experienced because they took a online course or a technical school course. I agree this is not enough training, Its a great start but those teachers dont teach the ins and out of coding and what to do when claims deny and carrier rules and regulations.....So I appoligize if I was snappy, I am unemployed and over certified and cannot seem to find work becasuse of online trained coders who do not require alot of money for there training and Im finding most employeers feel lts cheeper to hire and train, then hire someone with knowledge and experience.

Michelle Rimmer
February 4, 2009 @ 6:13 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have to agree with anonymous.  I am not aware of any companies hiring coders from home.  Before a local hospital laid off some coders recently, they did have some coders working from home; however, it was not an immediate thing.  You had to work on the hospital for a couple of years first--prove yourself to them, and then they allowed a few of their staff to work from home--a couple of days per week.

Working from home is not the end all-be all.  Yes, it is nice in theory, some who haven't done may glamorize the idea---but usually when starting out from home--you have to supplement your income until you are bringing in the amount you made when working 'out of the home'.  I also agree with anonymous, that most of the time--working from home requires you to start your own business; whether billing, consulting, etc.........

It is not easy to get clients.........you must have something unique to offer.......

If you do decide to start your home-based business related to coding--take your passion for coding and make it unique........think long and hard----look inward and begin with your passion for the subject material........what are you best at in this area?  

Good Luck :-)

Fondly,
Michell Rimmer, CHI
Professional Medical Billers Association
www.pmbausa.com

HOMEBOUND
February 4, 2009 @ 11:09 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am pretty much a self taught biller from home. I started at the ground level with a company and worked my way up by working my butt off and taking advantage of every chance to learn what they were willing to teach me. The company I worked for sold to a company that outsources it's billing to a foriegn company. I had a decision to make as to if I wanted to work for this company that went against everything I believe in or move on. Through doing a good job for the clients I had at my old company (even though by the contract I signed I was not able to take for one year after I quit) they gave me great references for new clients and I started my own company. I work from home. I do not have children so it is not a way for me not to have to pay daycare. I treat my office at home like any office. I am here and working from 8:00 to 4:30 m-f. What is nice is that if I need to work longer I can and still be home. Does this work for everyone?? no. You have to be disciplined but it can be done. So if you would like to work from home I would suggest starting your own business. Because even though I work from home I would not hire someone to work from there home unless I trusted them 110% and knew there work ethic and there abilities. This is just my opinion, but if you really want it give it a try.

Tom
February 19, 2009 @ 2:13 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Karen,

Although it is indeed difficult to find remote (home based) coding positions, there is a trend with many mid to large facilities or hospital systems to move their current coding team to their homes. As they hire new on site coders, often that new employee has to go through a training period, then a period when the director can evalutate their production and quality. If they continue to hit at or above standards for a period of time(usually 3-4 months), then they can qualify for the remote coding. I am the managing director of an executive search firm that focuses on HIM. Just last Friday, I placed a coder that had been traveling for about a year and wanted to start working from home. She is now going through the process described above with one of my clients and plans on coding from home within the next 6-8 months.

anonymous2
February 3, 2009 @ 8:39 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

First, Im not upset.  Im not one of those who are looking for work,  On every forum out there it's the same thing.  Im currently an office manager for a multi-physician group practice.  Every day, I  get the walkins and appointments looking for an open position in our company.  I simply dont have one. When looking at their resume, I see that most of those coming in my door are self taught with no experience. All of these people tell me they're fixin to get certification.  When I give them a  preempoyment test they fail.  MY current biller is excellent. Shs's certified through several associations.  But, what I see all over the place is: Can someone tell me of a company that hires coders who work from home. Its almost like someone is telling people that there is a miracle company out there and to be honest there isnt any miracle company.  All  thats out there are doctors offices, clinics, hospitals and billing companies.  Most of these places want people with the prope training, some experience and few offer opportunities to work from home.  Lets not confuse being realistic with being upset.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc