Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: home based business
Topic Originator: Marschand
Post Date March 27, 2009 @ 7:25 AM
home based business

Marschand
March 27, 2009 @ 7:25 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am currently a medical biller and i a certified medical coder. And i hope in a few years of running my own medical billing company from my home. What things do i need to do to get started.

Nonny
June 16, 2009 @ 10:09 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Marschand,

I took a course with www.medicalbillingcourse.com and along with it came a consultation on this topic.  I don't know if they do it for non-students, but it is worth a shot.  Call Phil at (865) 286-9124 X13.  Tellhim you would like info on starting a home medical billing business.

marschand
June 16, 2009 @ 11:49 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thanks for the information nonny.

TDR Mgmt
June 16, 2009 @ 4:33 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

We started through Synergy  www.synergymis.com  They have the biggest client-base of successful medical billing company owners and the software is the only one made for billing businesses.  Good lluck.

Dan Young
June 25, 2009 @ 7:05 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

A home-based medical billing business should have the following:

Dedicated office; Separate TN and FAX lines; high speed laser all in one- copier, fax, scan, printer; excellent computer with highspeed braodband connection, ergonomically designed chair, good lighting, legally approved contract that covers everything including a run-down time when a client leaves; at least one million dollars in errors and omissions insurance; a good online software so you can provide "back office" service for anywhere in the country; a firm knowledge of the laws of you state and the states you are billing for in regards to billing practices; copies of all of your clients insurance contracts; a good business plan; a good compliance plan; a business license that legitimizes your business; and above all:  integrity.

Chan
June 27, 2009 @ 8:49 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Try these below sites also they also provide details on what you need to have and also consultation on how to set up things.

www.medicalbillingservicepro.com

www.dreamforce.us

Tammy Harlan
July 7, 2009 @ 12:42 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I just want to clarify something.  I was the President/CEO of Santiago SDS, Inc. (now known as Synergy) and I co-developed the PM2000 software program.  It is definately not the only software developed for use in a medical billing business.  This may have been true many years ago, but it is no longer the case.

Tammy Harlan
Medical Billing Course, LLC
www.medicalbillingcourse.com

TDR Mgmt
July 7, 2009 @ 8:47 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

All you have to do is compare synergy's software to all the other popular ones to see that it's designed for handling multiple clients (databases) in a more cost effective, time-saving way.  It would definitely take us longer to perform daily functions in our operation using a doctor's office software.  It would also be alot more expensive transaction-wise.  I suppose you sell a doctor's office software and have a monetary interest in downplaying the excellent software of a company you used to operate? own?  Don't you now attempt to compete in their same market?  The only thing I don't like about these discussion boards are the salespeople.
Ted

Linda Walker
July 8, 2009 @ 12:51 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Well, a sales person I WILL never be.
I was a Santiago BC many years ago.  Many years later I can tell you there are WAY more software options available. I am not selling ONE. I can list 4 or 5 I really like and USE. As a billing company in today's industry it's a PLUS to be educated and ready for any software.
I do not SELL software but I will tell you which ones I like and don't like.
I work on various software's now as that's the key to marketing in today's industry. DIVERSITY!

Linda Walker
www.billerswebsite.com

Tammy Harlan
July 8, 2009 @ 2:34 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I didn't downplay their software at all.  I just said it's not the only one made for billing businesses...   which is true.

Tammy

Mary
July 8, 2009 @ 9:04 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

You know, I actually have a Tammy related story to add to this mix which might help clarify her intentions here.  When I was getting ready to purchase software, I called Tammy and asked her flat out what the difference between Santiago and the other software that she currently sells.  She gave me ONLY the positive for both and said that the major difference is that one is server based and the other is not.  Could she have focused on only the positive of the software she was selling and the negative of the other?  Of course, but she didn't and that is why she is so well regarded as a medical professional in this field.  She actually lost a sale to me because of her honesty and integrity.  You really can't ask for a more genuine person than Tammy.  I'm not trying to preach or point fingers, I just think her comments may have been misinterpreted.

TDR Mgmt
July 9, 2009 @ 8:49 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Can a doctor's office software be utilized in a medical billing business?  Yes.  Does that mean that it has been designed specifically for a medical billing business?  No.
Does that mean that it is the best product or tool for a medical billing business?  No.

marschand
July 9, 2009 @ 1:45 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I thought we were discussing my future in running a medical billing business from my home. What happen to that?

TDR Mgmt
July 9, 2009 @ 8:07 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

www.billing-coding.com/forum/survey_outcome.cfm

Mary
July 9, 2009 @ 1:23 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

um ... I hope you aren't replying to my post because if you are, your response doesn't make much sense.  No one ever said one was the best we are simply making the point that there are many options out there for medical billing businesses and an educated business owner is a confident one.  I too use PMX3 and love it dearly, but there are other options out there that might work better for different individuals for a variety of reasons.  My own point was simply that Tammy is not putting down PMX3 and you might be cautious how your replies could be interpreted.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc