Medical Billing Coding - EMR advances affecting billing?, cpt, codes
medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine

Billing-Coding.com

(FORUM HOME)

Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: EMR advances affecting billing?
Topic Originator: goldmedicalbilling
Post Date May 3, 2009 @ 11:32 AM
EMR advances affecting billing?

goldmedicalbilling
May 3, 2009 @ 11:32 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I'm starting a medical billing business, I'm wondering if with the EMR advances in technology will dr's need less medical billers?

andy
May 3, 2009 @ 2:35 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Yes it will.

goldmedicalbilling
May 3, 2009 @ 3:08 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Can you explain your answer a bit? like how it will affect billing? what can I do to go along with the changes?

goldmedicalbilling
May 3, 2009 @ 7:53 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

that's exactly my issue! So why does everyone say the medical billing field is only growing?

Ted
May 15, 2009 @ 5:06 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

If the only value to  your medical billing service is front-end data entry, then yes, you'll be obsolete.  If you position yourself to handle the entire revenue cycle and assist with other business processes, you'll still be needed, maybe more than ever.

Ted

Linda Walker
May 29, 2009 @ 8:50 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I don't understand the logic myself.. why would billing become obsolete with the introduction of EMR?  EMR is really not that new.. nearly all my clients have already setup on one and it's only made them more efficient.
If you are a billing company than hopefully you have stayed abreast of all the changes coming and have found that all these changes EVEN in this economy makes for an Excellent Marketing time..If you are experienced and know what you are doing this is a Wonderful time to market!

Linda Walker
www.billerswebsite.com

DAN YOUNG
June 11, 2009 @ 2:03 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Changes will always occur in our business.  As we know the business today, yes it will become obsolete.  But, there is always a new process or processes that we need to be the experts in.  Data entry is only a small part of billing.  Our company is positioning itself for great growth as we become certified auditors and hire more CPCs.

The future is bright for those who prepare.  You will no longer need data entry clerks, but will need experts in coding that can see at a glance if a claim is going out clean.

EMRs will not be completely  accurate for years to come, as the modifiers will need to be added and/or corrected.  The providers will need coders to verify they chose the right codes.  The billing company will be the strength of the providers' offices.

AS the providers reimbursements become less per patient, they will need efficient billing services to help them get all the revenue they deserve.

We are growing and we are helping our clients transition to hand helds and EMRs.  

As we see Obama dismantling the healthcare industry, it will still take a long time to completely wreck it, so we have a lot of work yet to do.  Take heart beloved, keep the faith, work hard, have fun, and enjoy life.

Andy
May 3, 2009 @ 6:44 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Why do YOU think EMR will cause doctors to use medical billers less?

With everything electronic, doctors will send their own claims while the patient is still in the office.  Payments will be sent electronically. So, why use medical billers?  You will become obsolete as Skynet comes online.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc