Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: CPC or CPC-H?
Topic Originator: Randy
Post Date June 5, 2009 @ 1:11 AM
CPC or CPC-H?

Randy
June 5, 2009 @ 1:11 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Greetings everyone.  I am about to start preparation courses through the AAPC, but I'm a little confused about which certification course to start with.  

Are CPC and CPC-H both good basic places to start?  Are they simply a matter of which facility you want to work with?  Or is CPC more of a broadbased beginning than CPC-H?

I even called and talked to someone at AAPC and they just asked me what kind of facility I wanted to work in.  This was kind of frustrating to me.  I don't know.  I've never done coding before.  I was hoping somebody could shed light some light on whether there are really any differences besides what type of facility it will get you started in?

Michelle Rimmer
June 5, 2009 @ 9:33 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

The CPC-H is for 'hospital'.  In my opinion, I would start with the CPC, then if you wanted to sit later for the CPC-H, you could.  In my area, hospitals don't necessarily require the CPC-H, as long as you have your CPC credential.

Good Luck!

Michelle Rimmer, CHI, CPMB
President-Professional Medical Billers Association
www.pmbausa.com

Randy
June 6, 2009 @ 4:20 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thank you Michelle!

Anyone else have any input.  Will one better prepare me for the 'real world' of coding any better than the other?

Michelle Rimmer
June 6, 2009 @ 2:39 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

You're welcome Randy.  They are offered by the same organization, so it's not as if one is 'better than the other'; you will be fine starting with the CPC first :)

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc