Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Questions on future of coding and billing
Topic Originator: Ed
Post Date June 30, 2009 @ 2:59 PM
Questions on future of coding and billing

Ed
June 30, 2009 @ 2:59 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi, I was hoping to get a few responses on a few questions I have and hope this is the right forum for it. I have been interested in the Medical Coding and Billing field for about the past 10 years now. I am a single dad of 3 kids and like everyone else I heard you can work from home and make a good living. Of course this really peaked my interest, now the kids are older I do not need to stay at home but I do find I am still interested in this field. Working at home would be a perk but I do know you need the experience and knowledge and which I dont have and like I said at this point it would just be a plus. Ok sorry I'll stop babbling. I live in Philadelphia and was just laid off and I am on Unemployment insurance. From what I understand they will pay up to $6000.00 for training or schooling that I qualify for, as I am 40 and have no type of degree this is really appealing to me even more so. My big question is and I do not work in this field so I do not know the impact it will have  but with all of the problems with the Healthcare system as it is with the companies and the President will this have any type of impact on this type of employment with the coding and billing. My common sense tells me know but my common sense has gotten me in trouble before and like I have been told common sense isn't so common hehe. Ok listen I am sorry to be so winded but I do believe that is the field I would like to go into and would be happy if anyone could recommend any schools in Philadelphia Pa. Thanks for letting me post and for your time.

steve
July 1, 2009 @ 2:50 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

The future hasnt happened yet and can always be altred based on what we do today.

The original developers of coding and billing are kept on ice inside the hoover dam.  When needed, they will be thawed out and brought up to date.

The codes in the icd-9 manual give us  keen insight into major disasters that will take place up to the year 2012 when the Mayan calendar runs out.

Whatever decisions you make, take your time and go with your gut feeling

steve
July 4, 2009 @ 4:21 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Ive been in this business since 1971.  It has its ups and downs. It has its successes and failures.   It is very complicated due to the many outside influences such as the following:

1.  Provider specialty
2.  Provider Health Insurance Contracts (Par v Non-Par)
3.  State and Federal Laws.
4.  Court Decisions.
5.  Insured and Uninsured Patient
6.  Patient Health Benefits.
7.  Claims Payments
8.   Billing software
9.  Carrier policy and procedure
10. Coding

The only way to be ready to do the work properly and to understand everything that is out ther is training under the auspices of someone who knows medical coding and billing and who has experience teaching it.  Someone with just a college degree just wont cut it.  I speak from experience on this.  

Training is enhanced through experience.  If someone has no experience, how does one gain the experience.  That is the universal question that faces us and has no easy answer.  

To want to be a medical coder and biller takes more than a desire  It takes commitment.  Its like wanting to be a Jedi.  Once you start you have to finish your training and you cant go down the easy path of the dark side.    THose who are successful, whether they trained themselves or learned through on the job experience all have a love for the profession.

Set your goals, and do what you really wish to do.

steve
July 7, 2009 @ 1:11 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Ed, let me add to my reply and the other fantastic cntributors.

I'm 56 years old.  I had open heart surgery and a stroke.  Ive been working hard to overcome these incidents.  if i can do it, so can you at 40.  

My wife and I have been to Philly many times.  We love the city. I taught many billing classes in your city over the years.  I have an old Army buddy that came from Philly and that I visited back in 1974.    She took me all over, Bookbinders, Independance Hall, and Pats & Genos. I never heard from her since 1974.  I wasnt impressed with either, the best Philly Cheese I ever had was from a small mom & pop store in Sanford, Florida.  BUT, you have a huge city of opportunities with billing.  If this is what you want, then go for the training.  Dont let your age be a factor.  40 is young today.

Much success to you

Ed
July 10, 2009 @ 12:27 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thanks so much to all of you for your replies. I do appreciate all the feedback. I think this is the direcetion I am looking to go. Rome wasnt built in a day. Steve you are very right Geno's and Pat's steaks are nothing more then a tourist attraction, if you ask most people from philly they will tell you to a sandwich shop. I know the best hoagies and steaks you arent going to find at Primos Hoagies or Geno's steaks. But for most people they have never even tasted a real cheesesteak so they have nothing to compare it too. Next time your in Philly leave a comment and I'll show you where to get a great cheesesteak. Thanks again to everyone for your time and input

brenda
March 25, 2011 @ 9:26 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I want to medical billing from home what do I need to take and what do I need to do to become sucessful in doing it from my home. I sure could use your help I hear so many mixed feelings about it. that u need to certifications and that it is very hard to do from your home. what advice can u give me. anything u could tell me would be great.

Thanx

Andy
July 6, 2009 @ 10:54 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

The one thing about coding you need to know is you either love it or hate it.  This isn't a job you can do if you don't like it.

Tammy Harlan
July 7, 2009 @ 12:36 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Ed,

Medical Coding encompasses taking long hand notes and turning those into digits.  Medical Billing handles finances/accounting.  Unless you are looking for a position outside the home in, perhaps, in a hospital setting or a Medical Administration Position outside the home, and what you are actually wishing to do is begin a business from home, medical billing is the field that you would want to look into.

I have 20+ years experience in the medical billing field, with 13 of those years in owning/operating a successful medical billing business.  Handling the billing and finances of a practice can be handled in an outsourced scenario (i.e in your own home or office based business).  Medical Coding, on the other hand, is usually either handled within the practice itself or outsourced to a Practice Management Company.

Good luck to you.

Tammy Harlan
Medical Billing Course, LLC
www.medicalbillingcourse.com

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc