Medical Billing Coding - Certification help please!!, cpt, codes
medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine

Billing-Coding.com

(FORUM HOME)

Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Certification help please!!
Topic Originator: John
Post Date March 3, 2010 @ 5:43 AM
Certification help please!!

John
March 3, 2010 @ 5:43 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi there,
I'm visiting a few business institutes in my area (Long Island) to enroll myself in a medical billing and coding program.  I'm somewhat confused.  I assumed all of these schools would be preparing their students for the same exams but this is what I've found:
one is preparing for the CBCS, another for the NCCT, and yet another for the CCS and CPC
I basically want to work in a hospital setting (and all of the ones I've found online prefer CCS and RHIA (or RHIT or both).  Will any medical billing/coding course program be efficient to prepare me for the CCS and or RHIT and RHIA?  Someone, please shed some light.  I don't want to waste time and money.  And then there is the length of the programs, some are 3-5 months where others are 9-12.

MARY ANN
March 15, 2010 @ 4:23 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I'VE BEEN CODING SINCE 1991 BUT I WAS FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO GET ON-THE-JOB TRAINING.  I WORK IN A HOSPITAL AS AN OUTPATIENT CODER (WAS OFFERED TO BE TRAINED FOR INPATIENT CODING BUT I'M NOT INTERESTED).  I HAVE A CPC-H CREDENTIAL AND FOUND THAT THIS HAS BEEN SUFFICIENT FOR WHAT OUR HOSPITAL REQUIRES, BUT I DIDN'T OBTAIN THAT UNTIL ABOUT 6-8 YEARS AGO.  I TOOK A 6 MONTH CLASS FOR CPC-H, THEN THE EXAM.  MY EXPERIENCE PRE- COURSE AND EXAM CERTAINLY HELPED, BUT THE COURSE COVERED MUCH OF WHAT I HAD ALREADY LEARNED THRU MY JOB. THE EXAM WAS NOT EASY - 4 HOURS, OPEN BOOK FOR PART OF IT, BUT WITH PAYING ATTENTION AND STUDYING WELL, IT WASN'T THAT BAD.  YOU MIGHT WANT TO ALSO LOOK INTO CPC CLASSES BUT IT MAY DEPEND ON WHAT FIELD YOU WANT TO GO INTO TO.  I FIND HOSPITAL CODING MUCH MORE INTERESTING THAN CODING FOR MEDICAL OFFICES, BUT IT IS DIFFICULT TO FIND HOSPITAL JOBS WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE A LOT OF EXPERIENCE.  WE'VE DISCOVERED THAT GOOD, EXPERIENCED CODERS ARE HARD TO FIND AND WE JUST DON'T HAVE THE TIME AVAILABLE TO TRAIN THEM AT THE HOSPITAL. GOOD LUCK.  I THINK YOU'LL FIND IT A REWARDING JOB WHICHEVER ROUTE YOU TAKE.

Debra Love
June 26, 2010 @ 4:58 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I just graduated with an Associates Degree in Health Information Technology so I could get my RHIT.  I already sat for my Certified Professional Coders exam through the American Academy of Professional Coders.  Do your homework before signing on to any college.  The one I signed up with said they were accredited but they arent' and still have not yet done so.  I at least graduated while they were in Candidacy Status so when they do get accredited I can sit for the RHIT but til then I only have an Associates Degree.  You can get your coding credentials by taking classes that last 2 or 3 months or up to 1 and half year.  If you don't have a good basis of Anatomy and Physiology and Med Terminology you will have a hard time getting through the courses.  Look at The AAPC.com website and find your local coding chapter to get more information and help.  Good luck

Debra Love

I just graduated with an Associates Degree in Health Information Technology so I could get my RHIT.  I already sat for my Certified Professional Coders exam through the American Academy of Professional Coders.  Do your homework before signing on to any college.  The one I signed up with said they were accredited but they arent' and still have not yet done so.  I at least graduated while they were in Candidacy Status so when they do get accredited I can sit for the RHIT but til then I only have an Associates Degree.  You can get your coding credentials by taking classes that last 2 or 3 months or up to 1 and half year.  If you don't have a good basis of Anatomy and Physiology and Med Terminology you will have a hard time getting through the courses.  Look at The AAPC.com website and find your local coding chapter to get more information and help.  Good luck

Debra Love

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc