Medical Billing Coding - Coding as a Stay At Home Career?, cpt, codes
medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine

Billing-Coding.com

(FORUM HOME)

Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Coding as a Stay At Home Career?
Topic Originator: Irma
Post Date March 14, 2010 @ 11:52 PM
Coding as a Stay At Home Career?

Irma
March 14, 2010 @ 11:52 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have been thinking about coding as a career for myself.  I am currently in the medical field but ideally would like a job that I can do from home.  I, though, have been getting mixed advice from different people.  Some say that stay at home jobs do exist, but that I would not be able to stay at home until I work outside the home first.  Others say that as I can work at home right away if I work for an agency.  Which is correct?

Can anyone give me honest and knowledgeable advice so I can make an informed  decision.

Thank you so much.

MARY ANN
March 15, 2010 @ 4:04 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I'VE BEEN WORKING AT HOME FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS NOW AND I LOVE IT.  HOWEVER, I WORKED IN-HOUSE FOR THE SAME HOSPITAL FOR SEVERAL YEARS BEFORE THEY OFFERED A WORK-AT-HOME CHOICE.  I DON'T KNOW HOW OTHER EMPLOYERS DO IT, BUT AT OUR HOSPITAL, YOU DO HAVE TO WORK IN-HOUSE FOR A TIME UNTIL YOU HAVE PROVEN YOUR CODING SKILLS AS WELL AS MEET QUALITY AND PRODUCTION QUANTITY STANDARDS.  THIS MAY BE LONGER FOR SOME CODERS, SHORTER FOR OTHERS - IT DEPENDS ON YOUR ABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE.  YOU NEED TO HAVE A LOT OF SELF-DISCIPLINE TO STAY AT YOUR DESK AT HOME AND REALLY WORK AND MY FEELING IS THAT YOU ALSO NEED TO BE ABLE TO WORK ALL DAY WITHOUT A LOT OF PEOPLE CONTACT.  WE ALWAYS HAVE EMAIL AND PHONE HELP AVAILABLE IF WE GET STUCK BUT YOU GENERALLY MAKE A LOT OF DECISIONS BY YOURSELF, WHICH IS OFTEN THE CASE FOR CODERS ANYWAY.  I'M SORRY I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW IT WORKS OUT FOR OTHERS AS FAR AS WORKING IN AN OFFICE FIRST - I HAVE A FRIEND WHO HAS HER OWN CODING SERVICE AND THOSE WHO WORK FOR HER HAVE ALSO WORKED IN-HOUSE AT VARIOUS PLACES PREVIOUSLY.  FOR ME, IT'S THE BEST WAY TO GO - YOU'RE OUT OF ALL THE OFFICE POLITICS, YOU DON'T KNOW HALF OF WHAT'S GOING ON AND HAPPIER FOR IT.  WE ATTEND DEPT MEETINGS AND CODERS MEETINGS REGULARLY AT THE HOSPITAL, OTHERWISE WE'RE ON OUR OWN.  I CERTAINLY WISH YOU THE BEST OF YOU CHOOSE THIS ROUTE.  ALL THOSE I KNOW WHO WORK AT HOME WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR AN OFFICE AGAIN.

Irma
March 16, 2010 @ 12:12 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I wanted to thank you so much for all the info you provided.  For some reason other forums that I have looked at have not been that helpful.

I did have one more question for you, if you wouldn't mind.  I have been told that coding is something you do at your own pace.  You basically can work as much as you want, of course the more you work the more you get paid.  I don't know if this is job specific or if this is completely off base.  From you experience in the field, is this true or is it job specific where some employers are more flexible while others will require quotas to get done by a specific time?

Thanks Again

valentine
December 11, 2010 @ 8:20 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I realize your question is really old, but maybe someone else would like to know this as well. Pretty much every employer has productivity standards, which mean you have to do at least their set minimum. If you are paid per hour, there isn't much incentive to do more than your set amount (mine is 70 outpatient encounters a day), but if you are paid per chart, after you meet the set number, the more you do the more you make.

brenda
March 25, 2011 @ 9:13 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am very interested in doing this from my home. what have u learned about what classes u need to take and how you go about doing this from home. and how complicated it is to do. I ahve heard alot of mixed things.

Irma
March 26, 2011 @ 1:56 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Brenda,

This post was awhile back so I hope I can remember some useful info for you.  I personally decided not to pursue this at this time.  Here goes.

There are quite a few places that give coding classes.  The most expensive by far is the Vocational schools that are about $16,000.  Their programs I think are a year or two?  There require an externship for 1 month at the end where you work for someone.  I work full time so that would not have worked for me.  There are other programs given through different colleges that I think are more reasonable in price and they offer night classes.  You just have to call around and see what is available in your area.  I even found a couple that was offering classes all day sundays and they helped you prepare for the state exam.  I think it was 9 months of classes for $3500.  I didn't really research any of the online courses or schools.

As far as working from home I did find out that it is not something that you can do immediately.  Employers will usually have you work for them for a few years to prove yourself before they let you work from home.  It would be very difficult to start out trying to do that because employers want people with experience working in an office enviroment.  But if you are willing and able to put the time in then it is possible.  You just have to find an employer that you know would eventually let you do that.  I know I work at a Dr's office right now and they do not offer that to the billers.

I hope this helps.  If you have any other questions that I may be able to help you with please let me know.

Good Luck

Bonnie
March 29, 2011 @ 2:31 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Why dont you purchase the Medical Billing 4 Dummys book. That helped me get a foot on moving forward with my business. I only have 1 doctor but i make 10% of his receivables a month which is about 2k a month. May not seem like a whole lot but it pays my bills and beats driving to work everyday! lol But i found it on Amazon for like 20 buks. Plus it has like real contracts, invoices for your clients and like 1500 insurance companies names addresses and phone numbers on a disc to use! That was so helpful for me when i first started, you have no idea. Check it out it beats paying thousands of dollars for school that you really don't even need!

patti
January 18, 2012 @ 11:46 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I would not recommend this field unless you want to travel.  I am a RHIT and have traveled, I have three plus years experience and unfortunately it is outpatient.  I have not been able to find a job in my home area at all.  Unless you want to be away from home for years at a time then don't think about this field.

GIGI
May 9, 2012 @ 7:18 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I graduated from college for MAA, but I feel that I need a better career. I have been interested in Coding for some years now. I plan on starting the medical billing and coding course through Penn Foster and then get CPC certified. I don't have any experience with coding but I know about it from when I went to school. What would you prefer as far as me becoming a coder and working from home? Have you ever worked with a coding company? If so, who?

Danielle
June 11, 2012 @ 9:10 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I disagree about the traveling comment. I went to the local vocational college in my town, graduated, took my CPC exam and passed, and have been coding for the past 10 years for two different physician offices and currently at the only hospital in the whole county. I have lived only a 10min. drive from each of my employers. I would not consider that traveling. The only thing better, that I can think of, would be remote coding from my home office, which I am working towards at this stage in my career!!
I live in Washington State and I am sure that probably in different states, in more rural areas, traveling longer distances might be the only option. Don't let that comment deter you! My advice is to always make sure you have people, websites, coding resources, etc. that you can trust. That way you know you will get the truth. Try to find a mentor that you will be able to learn the pros and cons (which every career has) of coding. At least you will be able to make a much more informed decision and see if this is the career path, you want to follow.
I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors,
Danielle D. CPC

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc