medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine

Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: PAY RATES?
Topic Originator: Lacey
Post Date September 1, 2010 @ 3:01 PM

September 1, 2010 @ 3:01 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

My yearly review is approaching in October and this will be my 5th year coding ER records in the same hospital. I have my Associate's Degree in Health Information Technology but am not certified. My boss cannot assure me that the sit-in fee for the test will be reimbursed by the hospital, and cannot assure me an increase in pay as a result of getting certified. As of now, I make only $11.07 an hour (less than $22,000 annually). I work at a small hospital in upstate NY and was wondering how this compares to other coders in the field.

September 1, 2010 @ 5:58 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

When I worked at Albany Medical Center Hospital, in Albany, NY, I made $1.62 per hour, but that was 1972.  Later, in 1992 when I worked at Whitney M. Young Jr. Medical Center, just down the road, I made $22 per hour.  My last job paid $13.00 per hour but that was in Florida.  The market pays what it pays.  

Disclaimer:  I am a coder and a biller.  I am not a lawyer and i do not provide legal advice.  I do not provide free, pro-bono research, depositions or consulting and I am not an expert witness in a court of law.   Any post made is done so for educational purposes. The original poster and reader agrees to indemnify and hold me harmless against any and all legal action.  If a reader or poster has a question of legal nature, they are encouraged to seek legal advice from an attorney of their own choosing at their own expense.

September 3, 2010 @ 2:08 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

try this website:

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc