Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Need some thoughts
Topic Originator: Henry Kaethow
Post Date September 13, 2010 @ 11:03 AM
Need some thoughts

Henry Kaethow
September 13, 2010 @ 11:03 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have been owrking in healthcare for several years, first as a nurses aid and currently as a phlebotomist. Unfortunatly I found out I have menieres disease/syndrome and it is no longer safe for me to do patient care due to my balance issues.

I am considering medical billing/coding as a career and was wondering if my prior experience with direct care helps or hurts my chances, also should someone who is having balance problems when standing be conisdering this as a career options.

Paula
October 8, 2010 @ 7:03 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

As a medical coder, you are required to sit on your bottom all day long and type into some sort of medical software. If typing and being stationary is not an issue, then you will have no problem. I don't know how much medical education  you have for PA and phlebotomist,  but unless you code for some type of speciaist, you will be required to know averything from A to Z.  Fod example, I worked for a Urologist for 10 years. His coding area in the medical realm is limited to the 5000 CPT codes. Labs are limited to the 8000 area. Whereas Family Practice invilves 1000-9000 CPT knowledge.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc