Medical Billing Coding - Certification with self-study?, cpt, codes
medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine

Billing-Coding.com

(FORUM HOME)

Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Certification with self-study?
Topic Originator: April
Post Date September 15, 2010 @ 5:21 PM
Certification with self-study?

April
September 15, 2010 @ 5:21 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I know you laugh about this, but I am seriously contemplating doing self-study to get my cert without going to school.  I am currently a medical transcriptionist with the goal of working in a hospital setting OR being in business for myself doing both transcription and billing/coding.  I am currently an IC for my job.

Is it possible, at all, to get certified for coding without schooling?

Lea
October 5, 2010 @ 10:48 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Are there companies that offer certification online?  Yes, of course.  Are their certifications any good?  That's the catch.  The AAPC would be your best route.

Lisa
October 7, 2010 @ 8:14 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

If you are very focused...it can be done...I did it.

Kalyn Ray
October 7, 2010 @ 8:16 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

There is an AHIMA Class that you take and when you get through with the courses you should be able to sit for the AHIMA CCS.

Trace
October 7, 2010 @ 9:09 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I did not take any classes and had no trouble passing my certification exam. If you have been in the "business" for any length of time, you probably know more that you think already. Buy a study guidebook, review the coding guidelines in the CPT manual, and go for it.

Paula
October 8, 2010 @ 6:48 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I got my CPC just by my personal work history in the medical field. I think what hepled me the most was coding for ER doctors for a year before sitting for the exam. Passed first try.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc