Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Specialized Surgical Coder
Topic Originator: Crystal Myers
Post Date September 30, 2010 @ 7:07 AM
Specialized Surgical Coder

Crystal Myers
September 30, 2010 @ 7:07 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

My manager wants to have a dedicated specialized coder in our surgery department. She asked me to go to school and get certifiied for this position.  She see this position working witht the surgeons to dictate what they really are doing and doing the CPT coding for procedures, but our Admin Council is skeptic if a specialized surgery coder is better than a regular IP/OP coder in Medical Records. Our thoughts are one that know the procedures, that is able to observe the procedure and is able to work with the surgeons and there offices would be a better fit to coding correctly. How can I find information to support this? I see on the AAPC website that they have specialized certifications for the different areas of surgery. This postition would be coding all surgery.

Paula
October 8, 2010 @ 6:52 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I agree with your dilema. I code for general surgery as well as vascular surgery. But I do not code for any cardiovascular procedures. The CPC for vascular also includes cardio. I don't know any particulars of general surgery certifications.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc