Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Pros & Cons of Coding Career
Topic Originator: Barb
Post Date February 14, 2011 @ 1:11 PM
Pros & Cons of Coding Career

Barb
February 14, 2011 @ 1:11 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I've been thinking about learning coding.  I'm already in the medical field.  I was wanting to know some pros and cons of this career.  Would you recommend it as a career?  Do you like what you do?

Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Barb

steve
February 14, 2011 @ 5:31 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Pros:  Those who are trained, are certified and have many successful years of coding.  They are reliable and trustworthy

Cons:  Those who cheated their way into a doctors office, who commit fraud and abuse and are serving many years behind bars for doing so

Barb
February 20, 2011 @ 1:47 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thanks Steve.  Not exactly what I had in mind. I've worked for doctors in another capacity and they are the ones falsely coding.  They see the patient for quick 2 minute follow-up and code for an extensive first exam or H&P.

Val
February 21, 2011 @ 10:27 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have seen the same situation.  But many years ago when the coding system was not as it is today.  If I saw this in today's world, I would bring that to the doctor's attention.  Addressing it before claims are submitted.  If he insists upon filing the claim, I would let him know that I am a certified coder and cannot break the laws, guidelines, HIPPA etc.  let him make a final decision being positive.  Personally, I would bill for what is on the encounter form. Just my two cents.

Diane
March 2, 2011 @ 1:18 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

There are such wide differences and variances within the educational community, what in your opinion, is a good way to go? What type of college course is best?

alixolson
April 28, 2011 @ 1:14 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I will like for people who are already in the profession of coding to give me your opinion of what the pros and cons are in this profession. I always like to receive people's opinions to see if it will be the ideal career for me. Also, be honest with your responses!

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc