Medical Billing Coding - Should I even consider medical coding in my situation?, cpt, codes
medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine

Billing-Coding.com

(FORUM HOME)

Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Should I even consider medical coding in my situation?
Topic Originator: Brent
Post Date March 4, 2011 @ 1:58 PM
Should I even consider medical coding in my situation?

Brent
March 4, 2011 @ 1:58 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi, name is Brent, first timer and new at this, so I hope we can all be kind.
My story:  medical coding has always been of somewhat of an interest to me as I've tended towards detail, reading, intuitive decision making.  I worked 20 years for a media research firm having to make quick decisions on meaning, content and terminology all within a weekly piece quota.  Was often under a deadline and as the economy worsened the clients dropped off so the job ended.  
My question:  At 55 and male, is it unreasonable or unrealistic to consider the effort and training to get into this field?  Too be blunt, too much competition, too old, being male, etc.
Any thoughts of those seasoned in the industry would be welcome to me, no matter how candid.  I have no doubt in myself I could do it, but is it a ceiling too thick to crack?

Bonnie
March 29, 2011 @ 2:32 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Why dont you purchase the Medical Billing 4 Dummys book. That helped me get a foot on moving forward with my business. I only have 1 doctor but i make 10% of his receivables a month which is about 2k a month. May not seem like a whole lot but it pays my bills and beats driving to work everyday! lol But i found it on Amazon for like 20 buks. Plus it has like real contracts, invoices for your clients and like 1500 insurance companies names addresses and phone numbers on a disc to use! That was so helpful for me when i first started, you have no idea. Check it out it beats paying thousands of dollars for school that you really don't even need!

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc