Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Intern for DME???
Topic Originator: Emme
Post Date June 7, 2011 @ 7:32 PM
Intern for DME???

Emme
June 7, 2011 @ 7:32 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I'm a student finishing up on the last few classes for ICD and CPT, then taking my exam after my internship. My instructor approached me about this DME site (Oxygen/Respiratory Therapy) because she knows they are looking to hire and most likely will hire an intern. I'm the first in the class to start ahead with the intern, but did I jump the gun too fast? I don't know what DME billing entails, and I feel like I won't learn anything about coding. Should I wait to intern at a Hospital instead? Or should I go ahead with DME (possible hire) for the billing experience? My instructors keep saying that no one starts out as a coder, and you start entry level as a biller first. Is this true? Or a gimmick to stick us into any site they find?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Taylor
June 14, 2011 @ 7:14 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

You will be doing NO CODING at a DME supplier because the referring physicians provide the dx (you won't even have the chart) and the manufacturer and/or PDAC code the equipment.

It is not true that no one gets hired as a coder first - that doesn't even make sense since they are two different jobs (although many employees of smaller providers do perform both functions).  It is extremely unlikely that you'll be hired as a coder with no certification, and even with that it will be difficult until you get some experience.

Whether you ultimately accept the internship will depend on which you'd rather be - a coder or a biller.

E
June 14, 2011 @ 11:15 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Taylor, Thank you for the reply. I did take the internship, and just like you said, there is no coding. I love the staff, they are all so nice and fun, but unfortunately my goals for a coding career seems to stop here. I will continue to look around. Thanks for the advice.

Taylor
June 15, 2011 @ 12:48 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Good luck, I personally have always loved DME billing.  I have one DME client but have always solicited for more.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc