BC Advantage Magazine

Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Help!!! Practicum
Topic Originator: Karla
Post Date August 29, 2011 @ 4:08 PM
Help!!! Practicum

August 29, 2011 @ 4:08 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I chose a bad school to get my Health Information Technology Degree probably because it was all I could afford.  However, I am in my last semester and I need to complete a practicum.  The school is absolutely no help and in order to get a question answered I have to ask it about three different times.  Both hospitals in my area have said they will not take me because they do not have a contract to accept students from my school.  My school says they don't do contracts.  They tell me that I can complete most of what I need at a doctors office, (even though the skill sets clearly state acute care) but my questions is this.  Is it normal for a school to be totally hands off when requiring students to complete a practicum?  I mean it all has to be done to their standards, yet they won't even make a phone call to talk to anyone for me.

If anyone could please give me any advice on how to approach a doctor's office and ask for this opportunity.  I just feel so hopeless and I have worked so hard to get this far.  Thanks!

August 31, 2011 @ 3:32 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Try contacting the AAPC ( They may be able to direct you.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc