Medical Billing Coding - Which schooling would you recommend?, cpt, codes
medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine

Billing-Coding.com

(FORUM HOME)

Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Which schooling would you recommend?
Topic Originator: Barb
Post Date August 29, 2011 @ 8:46 PM
Which schooling would you recommend?

Barb
August 29, 2011 @ 8:46 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Would you have a preference to learn coding on line at either AHIMA or AAPC?  Looking for recommendations.  I have a long medical background as an x-ray tech.

Thanks so much.

Trish Clark
August 31, 2011 @ 3:30 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I recommend the AAPC course.  The information and practice test prepare you for the exam.

Barb
August 31, 2011 @ 4:06 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thanks Trish.  That's the one I'm leaning towards.

Barb

Mike
September 1, 2011 @ 11:29 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

AHIMA credentials are the most widely accepted ones. If you have an associates degree already you may want to look into a RHIT program. As an RHIT you can do coding and many other HIM jobs. You can also sit for the CCS exam and the CCS credential is the gold standard in the coding field.

Barb
September 1, 2011 @ 11:55 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thanks Mike.  I only want to do coding.  Also, my x-ray training was hospital-based many years ago and I didn't have to have college pre-reqs for it so it wouldn't transfer to an AA degree.

Kathi Mora
October 12, 2011 @ 8:40 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

You can also take a look at the medical coding training offered by Career Step. They follow industry-standard curriculum and their program prepares students for AAPC certifications like CCA & CPC. The training program at Career Step is designed to be completely self-paced and you have the option of finishing your coursework in just about four months time.

patti
January 18, 2012 @ 11:42 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have a RHIT and have not been able to find a job in my home area.  The only thing available has been traveling.  I am ready to change my career path and would not recommend this field to anyone.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc