Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: AAPC Apprenticeship??
Topic Originator: Karen
Post Date May 7, 2006 @ 10:53 AM
AAPC Apprenticeship??

Karen
May 7, 2006 @ 10:53 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am about to enroll in a course to prepare to sit for the CPC exam.  I read somewhere that AAPC requires an apprenticeship?  Is this true and, if so, does this mean that you must complete an apprenticeship PRIOR to receiving your CPC?   I'm confused on this point.  I currently work for a company who provides outsourced transcription and coding services, and am moving from transcription to coding, so would like to see if anyone can answer this question for me.  

Thanks.

LMS
June 6, 2006 @ 7:16 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

What the apprenticeship means is if you have not met the Academy's requirement of 2 years of work experience, you cannot take the CPC exam and pass and have the credential of "CPC".  Some examinees will go thru some sort of schooling and are eligible to sit for the CPC exam without working in the field.  The Academy will waive up to 1 year of the "work experience" if you been in a coding program.  For example, I teach at a local community college near me and the students will take coding classes and earn a certificate from the college.  Most have not been in the coding field.  So, when they take the exam and pass it, they earn the title CPC-A which tells the academy that this person went thru some sort of schooling, passed the test, but has to work in the field (usually a year).  Once they have worked in the field for the required amount of time, they will send proof of that work to the academy, which will then drop the "A" from their credentials and they will then have CPC for the credential.  Hope this made sense to you.  If you have already worked in the coding field for at least 2 years, you do not worry about the apprenticeship at all.  If you are not personally sure if you meet their requirements, contact the academy prior to your exam just to be on the safe side.

Hope
June 6, 2006 @ 8:10 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

The way it worked for me is, one year of school PLUS one year hands on coding you become a CPC...So, I had the schooling, and was a CPC-A until I completed one year of coding..... If you pass a test for coding, the Apprenticeship title should not stand in your way....
That was in 2003, dont know if things have changed but you can always go to AAPC.com and check out the web site.
Hope

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc