Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Re: career research?
Topic Originator: Jane
Post Date May 17, 2006 @ 1:22 PM
Re: career research?

Jane
May 17, 2006 @ 1:22 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am doing a research project on becoming a medical billing coder. Currently, I am taking a courses in becoming a medical billing coder/transciptionist. I find it discouraging to see in the newspaper where future employers want experience when I finally graduate I be starting fresh out of the classroom. Sorry, I went off on my topic. I am looking for information about this career and pros and cons, benefits, and its networking capabitlity to gain professional growth and knowledge. Can anyone lead me on journery. Thank you... Jane

Nona
May 17, 2006 @ 4:45 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Jane, could you clarify the following?

Are you looking for info on billing, coding, transcription, or all three?

What exactly do you mean by "benefits"?

Jane
June 7, 2006 @ 2:16 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am looking for mainly biller coder(insurance biller). I am looking at the benefit of the networking with other insurance billers to work together as a network.

Deb Kenney
June 13, 2006 @ 5:52 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Well, I hope your resume reads better than your question....
Don't get excited - there is no career in Coding/Billing.  You have to be certified & experienced and for that you'll earn $10 an hour.

Ro
June 14, 2006 @ 12:19 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Even after decades of experience.  Unless you happen to have an actual degree and work in a specialty/allied field - in which case you'll earn $11.00 per hour.  And most of your jobs will be with temp services with no benefits and no stability.  Then you'll get laid off because your job was offshored to India.

Jean
June 19, 2006 @ 9:42 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am sorry that most replies were negative.  I would suggest that you look into hospital settings or specialty offices.  

In order to get experience, you may want to do a work study or if your budget permits, offer your services in exchange for training as you work in an office.  Just be sure that your needs are understood.

And, yes there is a lot of outsourcing to India, but there are also managerial jobs available here to assure quality control.  For this you will need complete coding and office procedural training or certification.

Good luck with your search.

Savannah
August 1, 2006 @ 5:38 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hello,

I am interested in finding out info concerning the medical billing industry. We recently received a flyer in thr mail from a company which says its is the largest medical billing clearinghouse in the USA. They are offering to sell us an opportunity to work as a licensee of their company. We were told that we would be provided with the names of doctors in our area and that we could earn 50,000-100,000 working from home. At first, I thought this would be an excelence home-based business, now I am thinking if it sounds to goo to be true , than maybe it is. Can anyone tell me if this is a viable opportunity and if not what is the reality in terms of making at least 50,000 a year working from home? If this is possible what should we do to become trained and certified?

Dan Young
September 9, 2006 @ 3:25 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi savannah,

Follow your God-given instinct:  it is too good to be true.  Check out the medical Associiation of Billers website for more information about the industry.  www.physicianswebsites.com

BC Team
September 9, 2006 @ 9:42 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

BC Advantage also recognizes medical Association of Billers (www.physicianswebsites.com) as an excellent industry association.

Best Regards
BC Team

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc