Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Help!! I need Interview Advice
Topic Originator: MissPullin
Post Date April 13, 2007 @ 6:20 AM
Help!! I need Interview Advice

MissPullin
April 13, 2007 @ 6:20 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have an interview this coming Tuesday for a Coder/Biller in an Outpatient OB/GYN dept for a major hospital in my city.  My problem is that I've never done OB/GYN coding before. I want this position so bad that I can taste it!!! I know that I need to sell myself to convince them that I am the one for this job.

-Can anyone tell me how different or difficult is OB coding?
-Does anyone have any tips or interview advice on what to say to make it sound like I know what I'm taking about as far has OB coding is concerned?
_ And most important are there any articles or any books that  I can read over the weekend to help me?

I thank everyone in advance for their input.

Linda Gutgsell
April 26, 2007 @ 10:43 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

The best advice is to stick to what you know. If you don't have experience in OB/GYN Coding you are not doing the Physician any favors and you certainly aren't doing yourself any favor by applying for this job. Even if you land the job, it will not be long before claims are denied or truncated because of coding and billing errors. You would serve yourself and the Physicians better if you were up front with them and then take it upon yourself to get educated and trained in your field of interest.

Coding Advice
April 26, 2007 @ 8:38 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I could not agree more.  There is an opening at our local hospital for a heart surgeon and I have always wanted to do heart surgery and I want this job so back I can taste it.  Problem...I'm not a doctor and I don't know anything about heart surgery.  Are there any books I can read or is there a website I can go to so I sound like I know about heart surgery?

Why is it when people see anything related to coding or billing, that they think that they can do it without any knowledge or training on that specialty?  Do you know that more than $200,000,000.00 was recouped in Florida and California because of bad claims sent to them?  Claims that were coded improperly!!!  Physicians and hospitals are the targets of audits because of piss poor codingand that is because the person coding did not know what they were doing.  Even if you have coding training, doesn't mean you can code every specialty.  Take a look at DME coding.  Think you can sit down at a computer with a CPT/ICD-9 or HCPCS manual and send a claim for a Medicare patient who needs a specialized wheelchair and oxygen?  

Look at doctors, would you have a pediatrician do open heart surgery on a 75 year old patient?  Would you have a dermatologist treat a 9 year old with leukemia?  Would you have a cardiologist perform a normal delivery of a newborn?  Would you have a radiologist treat skin rash on a 3 month old infant. Would you have a coder treat your grandmother for COPD?  Doctors undergo specialized training in order to treat that specialty.  Coding is no different.  

Trying to bluff your way into the job does a disservice to the whole profession and if you mess up, you aren't just messing up a claim, you are putting the provider in jeopardy, you are having the insurance company waste time and money processing a bad claim, you could have the patient pay the wrong amounts from miscoding and you make everyone of us look bad.  The provider then distrusts everyone that comes after you.  It becomes harder for the person that has the training and experience to get the job.

Think bluffing your way into a job doesn't affect someone?  I just got a bill from a doctor.  The bill says I owe more than $2,000 because my insurance denied the claim. Know why?  The piss poor coder coded the claim as 1 hour of critical care (99291).  Know why the insurance company denied the claim?  It was on my day of discharge from a hospital visit.  The doctor reported he performed critical care at 3pm and I was discharged 4 hours earlier.  I never received any critical care during my hospital visit.  I never received medical care from this doctor, so now I filed a complaint against this doctor and piss poor coder with my insurance company and the OIG for fraud.  

Coding is not something to take lightly.  It is highly complex and demands specialized training.  There many things I want to do but I know my limitations.  Would you take your car to donut shop for repairs?  Would you call an electrician to fix your plumbing?  Would you want a grocery store clerk to give you your GYN exam?

Marina
May 14, 2007 @ 9:28 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

My question will be: are you a Certified Professional Coder-Hospital? If yes, why not apply for the job? Not experienced? how would you like to be experienced without starting by something?

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc