Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: what next?
Topic Originator: Jennifer Kastner
Post Date May 23, 2007 @ 5:53 PM
what next?

Jennifer Kastner
May 23, 2007 @ 5:53 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I recently got certified through the AAPC after completing a certicate coding program at a local technical college. I also have 2 years expierence with medical billing and coding. I look at all these people around me that have been in this field for years and I want to be there. I know it takes time and experience to get there but what other education paths do you suggest. Should I go back to college? I do know that I just want to continue adding to what I already got. I want to be able to earn alot of money to live confortable. Any suggestions?

Barb
May 25, 2007 @ 6:38 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

The more experience you have, the more you realize the importance of education.  Work in the field and be certain this is where you want to be and follow your gut instinct as to what is right for you. Proofread everything.

Renee
May 25, 2007 @ 8:20 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have been working in coding and billing for 25 years.  I have found the best education is "on the job" education.  That is where you learn the ins and outs of billing and coding.  A classroom can only give you so much, but on the job gives the detail.  GOOD LUCK in your pursuits.

Susie
May 25, 2007 @ 11:44 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Jennifer, Congratulations. I have two certifications thru AAPC, they are CPC, CPC-H. I went back to school on-line with DeVry University and earned my Associate degree. This degree enables me to take the Registered Health Information Technician test for the American Health Information Management Association to earn another certification. As I review job opportunities, I see that this certification seems to be one of the qualifications now for coding positions also. The Associate degree can you lead you to Assistant Supervisorial positions. That is what I am going for. DeVry was great! It took me two years, but it was worth it. I plan to take my RHIT test in October. Then maybe in a couple of years, I might go back to school for a Bachelor degree.
Education, Education, Education........

Toni
June 7, 2007 @ 11:15 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Jenniffer,
Congrats!  I agree with Susie on continuing your education and I would do that by obtaining my associate and/or bachelor's degree as a RHIT or RHIA. AHIMA is the orginazation to be in! I myself have my CPC and CPC-H through AAPC. I am currently preparing for my CCS through AHIMA. I would like someday to go back and take the classes I need to obtain my RHIT.  Education is the KEY!!!!

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc