Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Finding Coding From Home Work
Topic Originator: Suzanne L. Slizewski, CPC-A
Post Date May 11, 2005 @ 2:19 PM
Finding Coding From Home Work

Suzanne L. Slizewski, CPC-A
May 11, 2005 @ 2:19 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have been certified for almost one year now.  I currently work for a diagnostic imaging company and I am interested in finding legitimate companies who will work with a coder that has a little under one year experience.  Any suggestions? I have done countless internet searches and resume postings with little results.

thanks.

Tammy Harlan
May 11, 2005 @ 8:52 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Suzanne,

"Coding from Home" is a very, very, very hard position to find.  Those with a coding designation (CPC) usually work on-sight, within a physicians office, but more often within a hospital.  "Coding Outsourcing" is usually provided by a practice management company.  Most persons with coding training and designations work within hospitals.  Most private practice physicians offices do not employ "coders."  If you are looking for a "stay-at-home" position, medical billing (outsourcing) can be started or done from home.  Medical billing can be done off-site in your own business and because medical billing handles more of the "financial accounting" of the practice (and not the medical aspect), it does not require you understand much of the medical side of the practice (terminology, anatomy, etc.)

Good luck to you.

Tammy

Suzanne L. Slizewski, CPC-A
May 12, 2005 @ 8:31 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thank you for the advice and your prompt response Tammy.  I guess I am just confused about all the ads I see for coders to work from home and how they are in demand.  In my area of South Florida, we are saturated with certified coders.  It is not easy for a relatively "new" coder to find a good coding position, everyone wants at least 2 years experience and won't even consider hiring you.  I got lucky and found a company willing to give me a chance, but I want to try other specialties too.

Wanda Linson
June 1, 2005 @ 9:59 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hey Suzanne, I am moving to Southwest Florida, Miami in about 6 weeks and I am a certified medical coder/biller and a medical transcriptionist, you said they gave you a chance;  I did not quite finish my internship, but I love billing and coding and posting and I would like to try a company in SW Miami, when I get there in about 6 weeks, can you tell me who gave you a chance in Florida.. Thanks:)

Tina
June 15, 2005 @ 7:58 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

So you say that Medical Coding can't be done at home? I was trying to get started at home also. I work for a third party billing company already doing some coding for almost a year now and I am a certified coder. I have more experience in billing than coding and would like to try both but I wanted to start coding first then get into the billing at home next. Is there anyone out there that has done coding at home and can give advice on how to start? Thanks for your help.

P
September 10, 2005 @ 9:01 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

There are  good leads out there Like www. Sohojobs.com and http://www.imiconcepts.com . Here are two I found.

Position Available

Medical Coder               UVA Department of Surgery                    Charlottesville, VA

This position is responsible for billing-related duties for 6 surgeons in the specialties of Colorectal Surgery, Cardiac and Congenital Heart Defect Surgery, as well as Trauma Surgery.  The billing includes the coding of operative notes, analyzing clinic and inpatient billing as well as the keying thereof, responding to denials, and monthly report analysis.  Specifically, the Department of Surgery is looking for someone who has in-depth knowledge of Anatomy and Physiology, Medical Terminology and practical coding experience.  Billing knowledge is a plus but will train the right person.

If you are a self-starter and like autonomy in your job, this is the position for you!  

If interested, call or e-mail Tamela Crickenberger, CCS-P, CPC, Manager of Billing Operations at 434-243-7036 or tlc5g@virginia.edu.

Coding Analysts

HealthSouth Corporation is the nation's largest healthcare services provider, with more than 1,700 facilities in all 50 states and abroad.

We have exciting growth opportunities in our Surgery Division and we'd like to hear from you.

*Certified Coders needed to provide remote coding support to multi-specialty ambulatory surgery centers.  Previous experience preferred.

*Work independently from home in any state.

*Competitive salary and incentive plan

BENEFITS:  HEALTHSOUTH offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes 401(k), medical, dental, vision, employee stock purchase plan and more.  EOE.

For consideration please submit resume to Attn: Coding Director via e-mail resume to barbara.hoffmeister@healthsouth.com or fax it to (315) 622-5392.

P
September 10, 2005 @ 9:02 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

There are  good leads out there Like www. Sohojobs.com and http://www.imiconcepts.com . Here are two I found.

Position Available

Medical Coder               UVA Department of Surgery                    Charlottesville, VA

This position is responsible for billing-related duties for 6 surgeons in the specialties of Colorectal Surgery, Cardiac and Congenital Heart Defect Surgery, as well as Trauma Surgery.  The billing includes the coding of operative notes, analyzing clinic and inpatient billing as well as the keying thereof, responding to denials, and monthly report analysis.  Specifically, the Department of Surgery is looking for someone who has in-depth knowledge of Anatomy and Physiology, Medical Terminology and practical coding experience.  Billing knowledge is a plus but will train the right person.

If you are a self-starter and like autonomy in your job, this is the position for you!  

If interested, call or e-mail Tamela Crickenberger, CCS-P, CPC, Manager of Billing Operations at 434-243-7036 or tlc5g@virginia.edu.

Coding Analysts

HealthSouth Corporation is the nation's largest healthcare services provider, with more than 1,700 facilities in all 50 states and abroad.

We have exciting growth opportunities in our Surgery Division and we'd like to hear from you.

*Certified Coders needed to provide remote coding support to multi-specialty ambulatory surgery centers.  Previous experience preferred.

*Work independently from home in any state.

*Competitive salary and incentive plan

BENEFITS:  HEALTHSOUTH offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes 401(k), medical, dental, vision, employee stock purchase plan and more.  EOE.

For consideration please submit resume to Attn: Coding Director via e-mail resume to barbara.hoffmeister@healthsouth.com or fax it to (315) 622-5392.

p
September 13, 2005 @ 1:18 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

www.genuinejobs.com . www.homejobstop.com   both are good sites for finding all types of jobs. I hope they can be of help to you.

AMANDA
August 2, 2006 @ 2:20 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

DO YOU DO PLASTIC / RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY CODING???  I DO NEED SOMEONE

Tina
August 16, 2006 @ 5:19 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have done coding for several different specialties but not reconstructive/plastic surgery, but if you are willing to let me learn it I am a fast learner. I have a medical biller for about 19 years now along with being a certified coder so I am very familiar with all kinds of specialties. This could be done at home correct?

Amanda
August 23, 2006 @ 8:39 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Do you have plastic surgery coding experience??  I am looking for someone  

Advancedmb@hotmail.com

Tina
August 24, 2006 @ 6:45 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have orthopedic surgery coding experience but not plastic surgery. If you need someone that already knows it I guess I am not the one you are looking for but I can learn fast. Let me know if you are interested.

Amanda
August 24, 2006 @ 11:38 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Yes, I am interested.  I have a plastic surgeon that needs his reports coded, there aren't very many of them, I would say 5-10 a month.  How much would you charge per report?  Please reply to Advancedmb@comcast.net.  Thanks.

Amanda

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc