Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Consulting
Topic Originator: Shelley
Post Date June 20, 2007 @ 3:18 PM
Consulting

Shelley
June 20, 2007 @ 3:18 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have a doc who would like me to do some coding consulting work for her. I have been contemplating doing this type of work for some time now and since it is her private practice and she is the only doc I thought I'd go for it. What I need to find out is what the going rate is for coding consultants and how others are charging their fees. By the hour? With a minimum of one hour? Any advice is much appreciated!
Shelley

John M
July 6, 2007 @ 3:54 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I know this post is a little late but here goes. It a bit long winded but you need to treat this seriously.

The going rate varies from area to area as well as for the quantity of work. You could charge anything from $10 per hour with a minimum of say 5 hours or work out a rate for completion of a quantity of work. If you are just starting down this road then be open and upfront with your prospective client. The more happy clients you can get initially the easier it will be to get further work. You will have testimonials from satsified clients to show new clients.

You may need to sacrifice on the rate now in order to benefit more later.

You need to ensure that you do your due diligence on the companies you intend to work with. Search for their details online and ask about them in forums or in your local community. There are a lot of scam artisits out there and you need to protect yourself. Also, make sure that you are properly set up if you intend to work from home. Set a goal for yourself and be single minded in reaching that goal.

You need to investigate the marketing opportunities that are open to you. They don't need to cost you very much, sometimes nothing at all. Start close to your home and approach medical institutions and doctors. You could even place a few small notices on the doctors boards if they will allow you to.

Keep a record of each piece of marketing you do and track what sort of response you get. This way you will get closer and closer to the marketing that works for you. Start off by phoning the doctors close to you and ask their advice or that of their practice staff. If you approach them in the right way with out forcing yourself on them you should find they will be very helpful and be able to point you to some work or even give you a try.

I hope this helps a bit and good luck with your business, you can find out more about medical billing at www.hunterrecruitment.co.za/medical.htm or email me for more info.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc