Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Resume
Topic Originator: Dee
Post Date June 9, 2005 @ 9:41 AM
Resume

Dee
June 9, 2005 @ 9:41 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am new to the industry with no work experience. Most of my previous positions have been in hospitality. Should I place these past positions on my resume or is it irrelevant?

Thank you
Dee

Lisa Paoli
June 9, 2005 @ 6:58 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I would put your past experiences and educational courses taken.  They look at the background and how you keep yourself up to date

Lisa Paoli, CMRS
www.medofficesolutions.net
www.localchapters.net

Sheila
June 9, 2005 @ 8:26 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

What position are looking for?

A good way to do a resume for someone who hasn't had much industry experience is to highlight your skills (ie. medical terminology, ICD-9/CPT coding, attention to detail, teamwork etc) and education. Then add your past positions. Don;t forget to come up with a good objective as well. In the objective you can point out that you are looking for an entry level position (easier to get when you are newer) etc.

In your cover letter you can reiterate your education to the position requirements and emphasise your willingness to learn. The most important thing is to get your foot in the door so that you can impress in the interview.

I was in hospitatlity for many years and found it hard to start in the medical administrative industry. I initially did a course and started working in front desk and used that experience to learn more about insurances and general office operations before moving on and working as a biller. It didn't take long but at least I got my foot in the door and proved to the bosses that I could do it even with minimal experience.

Good luck!

Pat
December 24, 2005 @ 10:28 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I passed the CCA exam in Chicago in August, and so far I'm not getting anywhere.  I can't even get a job as a hospital registration clerk because I have no experience.  I worked for fourteen years in the printing business as a supervisor for a laser department.  Many of the skills I used in that business are more than sufficient to perform an entry level job in a hospital.  They won't even look at my resume in most places.  I'm just about ready to give up because any coding I learned is fading.

jusdy
December 27, 2005 @ 5:48 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Pat, try posting your bio and resume on this site. They have a free young guns area for people with less than 1 years experience to upload their info for employers to read... worth a try I would say!

http://www.billing-coding.com/advantage/

judy

judy
December 27, 2005 @ 5:48 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Pat, try posting your bio and resume on this site. They have a free young guns area for people with less than 1 years experience to upload their info for employers to read... worth a try I would say!

http://www.billing-coding.com/advantage/

judy

Pat
December 27, 2005 @ 6:48 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thanks Judy, I'll do that.

Sue Campbell - 1st-Writer.com
January 6, 2006 @ 7:12 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Pat,

You wrote: "I worked for fourteen years in the printing business as a supervisor for a laser department.  Many of the skills I used in that business are more than sufficient to perform an entry level job in a hospital.  They won't even look at my resume."

If you know that you have the skills necessary to perform this entry level position in the hospital - then it's your job to make sure the reader of your resume is aware of this, as well. If your resume is failing to secure interviews for positions which you feel you're truly qualified, then you want to look at your resume.

Does your resume clearly indicate the skills and abilities you possess - as these relate (are relevant) to the positions you're targeting - early in your document? The easiest way to achieve this is to create a professional summary section at the beginning of your resume that shows your reader why you're qualified for the position you're targeting, listing the skills necessary for the position (information usually gained via job ads, networking, company research, etc.).

Next, look at your titles - will your reader be able to make the transition from your previous titles to the current position? If not, then include your actual title, and then include a qualifier. For example: "Department Supervisor / Customer Support" The first title is your actual title, the second is a descriptive title more in line with the position being targeted. Keep in mind, however, that whatever you include here must be true. You can't claim "customer support," if customer support was never part of your past experience. We're not talking about "fudging" here, but rather clarifying issues for your reader.

Next, look at your list of responsibilities and achievements. Have you focused your listing on those skills and achievements most relevant to the positions you're now targeting? What past responsibilities would most be in line with the registration clerk position? Prioritize these so that the most relevant, or transferable skills and responsibilities are listed in priority. Also show your reader how your efforts and contributions benefited past employers - your achievements. These, too, should be in line with the position(s) you're currently targeting.

Have you joined any professional associations or organizations relevant to your current career goals? If not, consider this. Not only will it look great on your resume, but it will help you maintain those great new skills (staying current), and professional associations are great places to network.

Good luck,

~Sue
1st-Writer.com

Steve Verno
January 23, 2006 @ 4:05 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I wish to present the opposite side of the spectrum.

I started out in this business back in 1972, spending 20 years in clinical medicine, treating patients.  My specialties were Emergency Medicine, Family Practice, Pediatrics and Minor Surgery.  For 16 years I earned my way up the ladder with the American Red Cross.  I went to the Red Cross College, became an instructor and then an instructor trainer in almost every class taught by the Red Cross.  I was also Captain of a Red Cross Disaster Team. After retiring from clinical medicine, I went into the administrative part of our business.  I worked as an Office Manager for a medical center.  I then became certified as a coder and medical biller.  I was the practice manager for 7 medical groups, then Director of Reimbursement.  Eventually, I became a coding and billing instructor.  I've taught classes around the world as well as to the regional offices of CMS and I have had more than 50 articles published about codiing and billing.  I taught about HIPAA before any organization started teaching about HIPAA.  I've taught about ERISA and insurance contracting for the physician.  Recently, I obtainbed six figure claims settlements for my physicians from various insurance companies.  I have 3 books published.  One about HIPAA, the other about Billing Compliance and I co-authored the Insurance handbook for the Medical Office published by Elsevier Science.  I also administer the free on-line forum for the Medical Association of Billers (www.e-medbill.com).   When looking at this you would think I would have no problems finding a job.  Well, three months ago, my doctor lost all of his medical practices.  A large medical consortium came and bought his contracts with the hospitals, so he had to sell his practices to this consortium.  All of us that worked for him are now out of a job, including him.  For the last 2 months, I have sent out more than 200 resumes and I've been to many job interviews.  When they look at my resume, the first words they say are.."Wow!"  When the interviews are over with, I get the handshake and the smile and the words, "We'll get back with you."  I get the letters a few days later, telling me that my resume will be kept on file and the reason I was not hired is because I am "over-qualified".  At no time was money talked about, so I wasn't there asking for a salary of $200,000.  I was there, looking for a job.  Nothing more.  

I went so far as to take money from savings, that was earmarked for this past Christmas, flew to an interview from Florida to Las Vegas because the doctor wanted to hire me for a project.  They wanted me to meet with him the day before Thanksgiving. I must have gotten at least 10 e-mails asking me to come to Las Vegas for an interview.  The office biller met me at a seminar I gave in insurance contracting, so she knew me already. The doctor liked me and he said he was interested in my help.  I spent Thanksgiving, alone in a hotel room instead of with my family.  Since that time, they stopped e-mailing, they refuse to respond to my inquiries and it seems now they don't want my help.  I ask myself, why did they tell me they wanted my help?  Why did they want me to waste my time and money for nothing?

So, even though you have the training, the experience and the certification, it does not guarantee you a job in this business.  Just as you are told you are underqualified, I am told I am overqualified.  All I want is to take my training and skills, and like you, do the best job I can for the doctor by making sure his claims are paid, his contracts are equal, his appeals are approved, his denials are overturned, and his A/R is low.  

Good luck to all of you.

Steven M. Verno, CMBSI
Yalaha, Florida
(That's near Howey-In-The-Hills, Leesburg, Eustis, Tavares, Mt Dora, Sanford, Apopka, Lake Mary, Altamonte Springs, Orlando, Ocala, Tampa, or Daytona)

Sue Campbell
January 23, 2006 @ 7:05 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

When I look at why someone's having difficulty securing a job, I look at each point of the process and try to determine where their particular sticking point is. For example:

1. Is the candidate securing interviews?

No? Then look at the resume and look at the jobs being targeted.

Is the resume effectively representing the candidate for the types of jobs and industries being targeted? No? Then this needs to be fixed. If "Yes," then look at the jobs being targeted.

Are the jobs that are being targeted in line with the client's education and/or experience? No? Then the candidate's expectations may be too high or too low, or an adjustment may need to be made regarding the types of positions or industries being targeted.

If the resume is solid and the jobs are in line, then you look at what avenues the candidate is using in their job search. Sometimes it's just a matter of a job search not being proactive enough.

If the answer to question 1. is: Yes, I'm receiving interviews... Move to next potential sticking point...

2. If securing interviews, is the candidate receiving offers?

No? Then what's happening during the interview to turn a "potential yes" to a "No?"

If you're being interviewed, then you have one foot in the door, regardless of "under" or "over" qualification.

I can tell you that HR Managers don't waste their time interviewing candidates whom they believe are a poor fit or unqualified in any way (under or over). So at the point of receiving your resume, the person in charge of hiring saw you as a potential candidate for the position. They already knew how much experience you have (it's in the resume). So what's happening at the interview stage?

The interview is your sticking point. And the people who can best explain why are those who have interviewed you. Since the one place isn't returning your calls or e-mails, I'd start with the company that sent you the "over-qualified" letter and ask to take someone to lunch. This isn't a confrontation, but rather an opportunity to see if there's something you can improve in your approach - an honest assessment - so that the next interview will result in a "Yes! We want to hire you. When can you start?"

~Sue
1st-Writer.com

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc