Medical Billing Coding - Was it a mistake to go into RHIT program?, cpt, codes
medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine

Billing-Coding.com

(FORUM HOME)

Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Was it a mistake to go into RHIT program?
Topic Originator: Candace
Post Date February 1, 2008 @ 11:09 AM
Was it a mistake to go into RHIT program?

Candace
February 1, 2008 @ 11:09 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi, I'm new here, and I'm hoping you all can help me make a career decision.  I am 43 years old and in the second semester of a RHIT program at a local college.  I am just beginning to learn coding and I have discovered that I am not very good at it.  I am not a detail-oriented person, and I find coding (ICD-9-CM, to be precise) to be very difficult for me.  I am barely passing the course.  I have also learned that medical coding and billing jobs are few and far between in our area, and that my chances of finding a job that pays above $9.00 an hour after I graduate (if I do) are next to nothing.  I'm wondering now if I made a bad career decision when I enrolled in an RHIT program.  Can anyone offer any advice?

Carla
February 2, 2008 @ 10:25 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

In my region, RHIT's  are used more for analyzation of patients and accuracy of medical record completion.   Most of them are employed per the hospitals.  I think that education is never a waste of time and I am sure that you could find something that would not require you to code out the charts.  RHIT are also hired by insurance companies and data analysts for patient statistics.  (i.e cancer patients) Maybe you need to check out the other resources for RHIT and go with the areas that you are most comfortable.
Hope this helps!

Laine
March 8, 2008 @ 10:03 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am about to enroll in a coding program through The Andrews School or AHIMA.  After all is said and done, is it wise to continue through to a RHIT program.  The 2 seem to go hand in hand?

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc