Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: No Experience? Don't Get Certified
Topic Originator: CPC-A SUCKS
Post Date March 14, 2008 @ 1:45 PM
No Experience? Don't Get Certified

CPC-A SUCKS
March 14, 2008 @ 1:45 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I heard Medical Coding was a great occupation to get into, so I enrolled in a private school to learn. School was decent enough that I passed the AAPC Exam on the second try. Unfortunately I was either not told or did not listen or read that if you have no experience or to little you will not receive the full certification but an apprenticeship certification. MAKE SURE YOU FIND OUT BEFORE YOU WASTE YOUR TIME & MONEY.

This Apprenticeship Certification(CPC-A)is worthless in my opinion, I have had nothing but trouble ever since I got it. No replies from applying to job postings. Hardly any internships or training to get experience; very few companies that participate in Project X-Tern in my area at least. If they do participate most are at least 50 miles from my house.

If you are like me, and have little to no experience don't get certified at least until AAPC fixes this problem. All you will do is keep paying membership dues, and waste your time trying to keep your C.E.U.'s up for nothing. I go to my local chapter meetings not one time has any board member told us about any internships, but they do talk about employment openings but the dreaded 2 + years experience always comes up.

I wanted to get into Medical Coding but it looks like it is only for certain people with previous experience. I feel like my money & time were wasted on learning this profession. I plan on letting my AAPC membership run out, because AAPC in my opinion does not push companies hard enough to participate in Project X-Tern. Companies are lazy, and do not feel like setting up an internship program, they make excuses that they don't have enough people already to place an employee as a trainee.

Don't fall for these radio ads saying you will be able to work from home, they also don't mention the experience catch. Companies don't usually offer fresh off passing the exam coders work at home jobs or jobs at there office either you usually have to have at least a few years experience to do this.

sTEVE VERNO
March 17, 2008 @ 7:14 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thank You    

I hope someone new reads this and learns.

Th pronlem s not your certification ,Yhe reason why employers want experience is becsise yjeu jave been burned bu sooeone witih NO trsining, vertivication or experience,  

So, the question is, ho ca you ge experoemce if you don't hav it?  Blame hose that are ruining your hances to get that experience.  Too many people think you can do what we do without raining so they get themseelv es hired and ruin ir for the rest of us, even those with experience.  

Certifiation tells an employer that you know wha you are doing.  But, the complexities of our profession demand you start out running th day you ar hired.  You can't do the work learning from a book or a forum.  YOu uee your training and cetificattion to overcome the lack of experience.  you show you are the best to do the work.

Dont give up. You give up, the insurance companies win.

Even though I had a stroke, I am fighting to get back. Never give up!

mbdowell
March 19, 2008 @ 3:41 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Do not give up. I went to shcool and received my degree in Medical Billing and Coding. I too, past the CPC-A exam on the second try.  The reason for the "A" is to recognized those that have been through formal training. The "A" takes the place of one years experience.  After you have worked in the field for one year, you just have your employer wirte a letter stating you have been working as a coder and they will send you a new certificate with out the "A"

My first job was in a doctors office as a front desk, scheduler, phone, etc.  That job progressed into doing billing before I left. I left that job for another that was closer to my home.  I too the job as an insurance verifier.  I would just verifiy the patients insurace. The doctor is using an outside biller, but I have pointed out mistakes that they are making and where he is losing money, so next month he is bringing the billing back in house and that will be my new full time position.  I will be coding and billing for the whole clinic. By the way this will come with a SIZABLE raise.

Do Not give up, look for any type of position in a doctors office, then show tham your knowledge.  Good Luck and Keep looking.  Let us know how you make out.

DINEY
March 21, 2008 @ 10:46 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Your experience sounds similar to mine. I am a retired RN with 35 years experience. I was also told this was a good field to pursue. I wanted to build on the knowledge I already had . I passed the test on the first try. Supposedly 10,000 coding jobs go unfilled every year. If no one is willing  to hire people eager to learn, they will go unfilled. I have invested time, money, and energy in this and I can't keep dong that if I don't see some results soon.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc