Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Certification IS important
Topic Originator: Michelle Rimmer,CHI,CMRS,CBCS
Post Date March 21, 2008 @ 3:21 PM
Certification IS important

Michelle Rimmer,CHI,CMRS,CBCS
March 21, 2008 @ 3:21 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Certification in Medical Billing and Coding IS important!!  Although some new students might be frustrated with recently getting their credential and NOT being able to find work---hang in there!!!  You WILL get that first job!!

Your credential puts you a step ahead of the rest!

Good Luck
Michelle Rimmer, CHI,CMRS,CBCS
Author-'Medical Billing 101'
Owner,-learnmedicalbillingonline.com

Daria
March 26, 2008 @ 12:30 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

You are correct, I work in the physician office side of life and have to help look for codes and services that are available, along with coorsponding ICd-9 codes. I past my CPC the first time, but understand how difficult it was. I guess you have to decide what's important to you.  Working in check out and check in gives you a huge advantage to identify and correct processes that make the billing of said claims easier. You can use that as your experience.

sTEVE VERNO
March 27, 2008 @ 6:58 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

michelle,

I couldn't agree more.  The people i worked for cleaning up their mess are in hat situation because they hired somone with no training or ceritification and now they are paying the price.  Beofe they hire anyone now, they demand the person prove they underwent training and are certified and they have he person take and pass a coding or billing test.  If anyone is to blame because no one wants to hire you, blame those before you who thought our profession was easy to do wihout training or certification.  

I visiteda doctor yesterday and asked where the person, who is trained and certifie went.  He stated we let he go because he didnt have time to train her. I stated she already had the training, then he said, he wanted her to do things "our" way.  Thei way was all wrong.  it was his wife that wanted things done her way. She hs no training, so he wonders why he is not making any money and his claims are being denied. sadly this doctor is beyond hope if he isn't willing to do things the right way and many doctors are in this same situation.  Only a properl trained and certified person cn be of help with the willingness to do things the right way.

Michelle
April 3, 2008 @ 8:14 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thanks Steve :-)

Michele
April 3, 2008 @ 10:02 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

The sad part about it all. Some of theses Doctors are cheap. They don't understand that in the long run it will pay off. Like in the hundreds of thousand by the end of the year! How many insurance companies just refuse to pay a claim that is filed, coded correctly or they changed the $ of contractual payment before another contract is agreed upon. This happens a lot!!! Or just keep denying a modifier over and over again for No reason at all! And if you don't know how to fight this then you might as well hand in the towel! Not only is coding correctly important (because basically it is in black in white, folks)but the laws, rules and been-there-done that is also equally important!! That is why the AAPC demands some experience before they even give you the CPC credentials. That is why they are recognized! Maybe one day they will pass a law that you can only code if you are certified! Maybe then and only then will they learn!

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc