Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Career Advice
Topic Originator: Steve Verno
Post Date May 10, 2008 @ 9:29 AM
Career Advice

Steve Verno
May 10, 2008 @ 9:29 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

For those wanting to do medical billing, my humble piece of advice is simple.  Do the best job that you can.  I started out knowing nothing but learned through training and making many mistakes.  Mistakes are our best teachers.  They say failure is the mother of success.  If that is so, then I must be the most successful person on the planet.
When I started out there were no forums around to provide help.  There were no classes around to take.  Denials were won through trial and error.   Things were pretty much simple.  They werent complicated through coding changes, laws or unknown carrier policies.  If you want to join our profession, just do the right thing.  Experience will be your teacher.  Dont take shortcuts.  Take your knowledge and experience to help others.  Come into this profession with an open mind.  YOu can go as far as your heart and desires allow you to.  Simply put, be the best that you want to be.

Tammy Harlan
May 16, 2008 @ 1:35 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Now that's some good advice.  And "Frustration is the Mother of Invention"....    and I think frustration is the reason why many people decide to begin their own business and control their destiny, their freedom, their time with family, etc.

Frustration caused me to begin my own business many years ago - so frustration is my friend and has been useful to me.

Today (and for a long while), I'm completely and totally unemployable.  LOL!  I'm sure you are too.

Tammy Harlan
Medical Billing Course, LLC
www.medicalbillingcourse.com

steve verno
May 16, 2008 @ 6:31 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I think Frustation is the cousin of failure. we get frustrated when we fail.

I am unemployed due to a stroke I had in January, I do get many offers for work that I have to turn down.  The doctors dont want me to work because I have a high ability of having another stroke.  What hurts me is not being able to teach again due to my speech dificulties.  

I spend most of my time writing a new certification program and some more free guides

nancy lysett
May 24, 2008 @ 12:28 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Does anyone know of a good school to learn billing and coding?  If so, are there any in Phoenix, AZ?  If anyone knows of any let me know.

nancy lysett
May 24, 2008 @ 12:28 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Does anyone know of a good school to learn billing and coding?  If so, are there any in Phoenix, AZ?  If anyone knows of any let me know.

Michelle Rimmer
May 25, 2008 @ 12:06 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Nancy,

An author colleague of mine is the Director of the Medical Billing and Coding program at Appollo College in Phoenix.........

michael
June 24, 2008 @ 5:47 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am starting medical billing and coding at u. of Phoenix on line  I am disabled from polio and can not walk much and i am hoping that I can make a better future andmoney than being on disability U of Phoenix is suppose to have an excelent school for this  I really do not know what the pay scale is but it has to be better than disability I hope

steve verno
June 24, 2008 @ 8:29 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

In house coders can make from $15-20 per hour.  No clue about at home coders, maybe the same, naturally the pay is also based on training, cetification AND experience.

For example, from Phoenix Childrens Hospital:

Minimum Qualifications:
- CPC or equivalent coding certification and a minimum of three years coding experience.

- Associates degree in Health Information Management or closely related field; equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute.

- Extensive knowledge of ICD-9, CPT, HCPCS coding, federal, state regulatory guidelines and 3rd party payer requirements required.

- Familiarity with coding software programs. Experience with billing systems, spreadsheet and word processing software.

- Accuracy and attention to detail required. Ability to interact well with others at all levels with a proactive and positive manner.

Good luck and much success

Dee
May 14, 2009 @ 8:49 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Steve,  
I am looking int getting into Medical Coding and Billing.  My question is:  Although there are several places to learn the field which is best?  Community College?  Pima Medical, Apollo, etc?  I know that PMI is kind of high priced, but they help yo get an intern job which might be helpful.  Community College I am not sure if that is part of the training or not.  What do you think?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am new to this field and it looks like you have a lot of knowledge in the area.  Thanks!

Jude
June 11, 2009 @ 10:37 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Steve,
I was on this forum yesterday and read you had written a " coders' prayer for the test I have just started taking the classes for medical billing and coding and its a little overwhelming right now- So any help is greatly appreciated.

Jude

steve
June 11, 2009 @ 11:25 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

i dont remember writing a coders prayer.  Sorry

THe only thing that comes to mind is:

Roses are Red
Roses are white
Please Lord, let this code be right.  

I see London
I see FRance
ICD-9 is always a chance.

DAN YOUNG
June 11, 2009 @ 1:50 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hello Steve....

This one comes to mind.....

Hey Jude, don't let me down

DAN YOUNG
June 11, 2009 @ 5:16 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thanks Steve,

You wouldn't believe how our business has grown.  Just last December 1st we moved into our own suite in downtown Queen Creek, AZ.  We had just 8 or 9 employees in the work center, and now we have 18.  Our customer base has grown to include California to DC and Virginia.

We have been looking at how the future will impact Billing companies.  What we see is thatt the increased use of EMRs will create new and exciting opportunities.  We are sending Kathy and two others to become Certified Auditors.  The new rack audits will mean new venues of income for those who are ready.  Providers will need to be "chart ready for these audits, so we want to provide ceertified auditing for them.

If the Obama-nation gets his way in healthcare, it will still be years before it is totally dismantled.

may your life be full and enjoyable.

Jude
July 10, 2009 @ 2:14 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am looking for someone's insight- I have been in class now for about 6 weeks and in 2 weeks will be taking the CMRS exam however that is not what I started out wanting to do. I went to school because I wanted to learn coding as my primary and that class is next month and my question - I want to go straight into that class ( I have the resources and time now ) I know everyone wants experience but I'm afraid if I leave now for work ( experience ) that I wont have the time to concentrate on the new class. Any advice?

Jude

Michelle Rimmer
July 19, 2009 @ 11:47 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Jude,

If you can afford to take the coding class and the time and you do not need to get a job right away, then by all means---take the class!  The more training you have -the better!!

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc